Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self installation of Dish network

Self installation of Dish network

I have a question. I will be switching from c-band satellite to Dish Network in a few weeks. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of buying the equipment and installing it myself vs. letting a company do it for me. I'm very familiar with satellites, having done most of the repair on my current system for the last 17 years and installed a Dish Network dish for my sister about 5 years ago. They claim free equipment & free installation. I haven't read the "fine" print and was wondering what the catch is. Can anyone give me some advice on this "deal"?
    Thanks in advance,
    JRF

Re: Self installation of Dish network

Free is free.
    I let DirecTV install mine for free.
    When I moved, I let them install new dish and lnb for $12.00.
    Anything under $25 is worth me not falling off the roof or a ladder.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I've seen some free installations, and you really do get what you pay for. If you have the proper tools, you will do a better job because you care about your home. The installer, on the other hand, is thinking about driving to the next job, problems with his girlfriend, his truck payment- everything but doing a really good installation on your house. And, if you don't like the way it looks when he (or she) is done, I'd bet you have a tough time getting them back out to clean it up. Just my 1.5 cents worth.

I have found most permanent tradesmen are proud of the quality job they do and will give you good service despite other thoughts.

IE: they are proud of their work.

Egon

Administrator

I have put several dishes up on my own houses. It is not so difficult. The hardest part is getting the dish aimed correctly. You will need someone inside the house to watch the screen and yell back out to you when the signal "locks on." A helper is required.

Start to finish, the job takes about an hour, if all goes well. If you have line of sight issues or signal strength issues, it could take a couple of hours. Just move the dish in VERY tiny increments, or you'll move right past the signal. Even 1/4 of an inch is not too small as you work on getting the signal to lock in.

I would not worry about the craftmanship or competence of the "free" installers. They are local tradesmen who will do a good job.

If your roof has extreme pitch or any other issues, why not save yourself the trouble, and let the free workers do it.

You will need to drive some 3 or 4 inch lag bolts into your roof to secure the main dish. So you want to make sure that you seal around them with silicon if you live where the weather gets severe, lots of rain or snow, etc.

Also, make sure you tighten all the fittings on the dish real good. You don't want to have to climb back up there in the middle of NBA playoffs, at 11 at nite, or whatever. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Enjoy! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

The catch is that you have to agree to keep the service for a minimum of 12 months. Anything less and they will bill you for installation. I agree with the idea of letting someone else do it if Dish is willing to pay. Try to pick your own installer, rather than going with the Contractor that Dish uses. Those guys are way too busy, and your own (local) guy is more likely to care more about the job than someone from half way across the State.

Steve

My experience with Dish Network has been great so far. I was a Direct TV customer but after going thru 3 receivers (RCA) just after the "one year warranty", I took Dish Network up on their "FREE" offer. I pay a monthly "rental fee" for the equipment (mine is $5 for the bedroom receiver and $10 for the PVR/DVR--able to record like TiVO). The "plan" is called Digital Home Plan (DHP) or Digital Home Advantage (DHA), depending on what is offered. You can find out all this info in the "fine print" on the brochure. I know I will wind up paying more for the equipment in the long run, but after my experience with Direct TV, I though it was worth it.

My experience was a little different with the "PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER". Direct TV's installer showed up in a pick-up with DIRECT TV all over it. He had just about every piece of equipment they make. When they say "you get what you pay for", the Dish Network "Installer" showed up in his private car with some wire, a monitor, the equipment to be installed, and not much else. NO LADDER. As he gets out of the car he tells me that I am outside the radius of "FREE INSTALLATION" and he "may" have to charge me a "service call fee". FIRST PROBLEM. My old Direct TV Dish was on a pole about a 100 feet from the house. That is when the "second problem" showed up. The "installer" said the "FREE INSTALLATION" only covered 50 feet of cable and anything over that would be "EXTRA". Also, he didn't want to go under the house to run any cable. After telling him to pack everything up and take it back, he made a few phone calls and completed the installation as I wanted it.

I used to loose signals with Direct TV during rain, even light showers. After almost two years I've lost the Dish Network signal once during a storm that included a Tornado WARNING!

I would side with, and agree with, JazzDad and his observations. Each to their own desires tho.

I installed my DirecTV and ran into several decisions that I worked out that would have probably ended up shortcuts to any one else. Delicate places to thread the cable, etc., and all has worked out well. I have yet to be very comfortable with a tradesman working in my house, but with a few exceptions. Painters are the worst. Last one I am sure couldn't see very well. He rolled chunks of gunk on the walls apparently from his paint bucket, and should have strained them out. He didn't fix any nail pops, just rolled right over them. I was glad to see him leave. But, the choice is "I could have done it myself" and the next time, if there is one, I will do just that.

Essentially no problem with Directv in the three years I have had it, with only an occasional heavy rain blocking the signal for a short spell - minutes at most. Thinkin about looking into the TIVo features as well as hooking the computer up to Directway (sp?)

I just had the Dish Network professionally installed. Pleased with the job done by a local small retailler. I arrainged for the service though him and he sowed up on time and did a professional job.

As this was new construction he went in early and ran six cables to the dish location on the roof, we're getting Directway too.

Then he came back on Tuesday and mounted the dish, terminated all the cables, installed wallplate and hooked up the three receivers.

The modem will be installed as soon as I get a computer moved.

Very happy so far. I'd recommend a local retailer/installer who you'll be able to get hold of later.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thank you very much Gadgetman! You just clinched it for me. I have been debating changing from Direct TV to Dish network for about a month now. I too suffer outages when it gets cloudy with DTVand I have been through three recievers in three months. Hughes brand. Then even though I have the protection plan they tried to charge me seventy dollars for a trip charge because THEIR equipment was faulty. Grrr.