Thread: Big Red

Big Red

I had, I say, I had, two roosters. And no I am not trying to sound like Foghorn Leghorn, I just feel the need to emphasize the HAD part. We live on a working farm, and on occasion, someone will pull up in the yard wanting to buy livestock. A couple of weeks ago, a fellow showed up wanting to buy a rooster. All the 'passable' roosters had already been sold, and as I was not home to stop him, Jake sold him Big Red. MY Big Red.

The Big Red that started out as a baby Rhode Island Red chick and lived through cats, dogs, weather, a rumble with my daughter in the middle of the night (it's a long story) the other roosters, and even pigs, and was earmarked to take Brewster's place when he caca's his last doodle-doo. Big Red was every bit a gorgeous, mature rooster, and one of the few on the place that has never tried to do me bodily harm, and I love him. Needless to say we had a scene.

I missed him when we were clipping the wings on the hens Sunday night. For some reason it just hit me that I hadn't seen him around in a while.

"Where's Big Red?" I demanded.

My fourteen year old son Jake was standing there with the six feet of three chickens in each hand, and I knew the second I looked at his face that he was at the root of the disappearance. He opened his mouth to speak and I nailed him.

"You sold him, didn't you? Don't even answer 'cuz I know you did. Who to? Don't even tell me 'cuz it doesn't matter, 'cuz yer gonna get him back." He opened his mouth to speak again, and I cut him off again.

"Don't even tell me that you can't, 'cuz yer gonna. I don't care if you have to walk across hot coals. I don't care if you have to brave hell and high water and put your soul in jeopardy, and you lose limbs and body fluids in the process, yer getting Big Red back."

"Kind of attached to him, were you?" He ventured.

"You need to not get lippy with me when your tied down with fifty pounds of chickens." I growled.

"I can dump 'em." He shrugged, but didn't quite pull off the devil-may-care look he was shooting for.

"Then you'll just have to catch 'em again."

"I caught 'em once, I can do it again."

"Stop changing the subject! Who has Big Red?"

"Rocky."

"Rocky who? Don't even tell me 'cuz I don't wanna know. Just call him up and tell him I want my rooster back. How much did you sell him for?"

"Five dollars."

"Are you crazy!?" I shrieked, and all six chickens joined in. Once they all settled down again, I informed him that being a full-blooded Rhode Island Red and over a year old as well, the rooster was worth a minimum of twenty bucks, but if I had chosen to sell him, the price would be a hundred. Since nobody is crazy enough to pay that price, it was a sure bet that he'd still be knocking around the house doing his rooster thing.

"Well, I didn't know." Jake said, his face going red.

"Well that's the funny thing about not knowing. The only cure for it, is asking. I always have my cell phone, why didn't you call me?"

"I don't know."

"And by the way, where's the five bucks?"

"I used it to buy something to drink during baseball practice."

"With the whole five bucks? What'd you buy?! Jack Daniels?!"

"No!"

"Is this 'Rocky', the Rocky that's in the phone list on my cell phone?"

"Yeah."

"All right." I stuck the shears into the dirt at my feet.

"I'll call him up myself."

"No." He said, barring my way to the gate, his arms outstretched, all six chickens just a flappin' and squawkin' to beat the band. "No, don't do that. I'll call him. Give me 'til tomorrow. I'll bring Big Red home." He promised.

"All right then. But you damned well better."

Time was up this morning, and no Big Red adorned my yard, so I called Rocky myself.

"Hey, uh, this is Jake's mother. I...yes, fine, hower you? Good, I...yes he's fine, too, thank you. I, uh, I understand that Jake sold you a rooster a couple of weeks ago. Well, the thing is, that rooster wasn't for sale. I was wondering if I could buy him back from you."

"Well you sure could..." Rocky informed me, with all the warmth and sympathy of a man who knows when a mistake has been made. Rocky immediately found himself a warm, soft, place in my heart for all eternity. Until he finished his sentence.

"...but my wife just called and told me that something broke into the coop and killed all my poultry. That rooster was among 'em. I'm afraid he's dead."

Don't even tell me that.

Naturally the minute I hung up with Rocky I called Jake. Even though it only took four or five seconds to place the call I was already bawling like a baby.

"You might as well not bother about going after Big Red, (sniff) he's...he's...de-he-head!"

"What?! No way!"

"That's what the man said, and I don't know how you're ever gonna make this up to me, Jake." I said, tears clogging up my throat and making my voice sound like I was talking from under water. Poor Big Red. After all he'd been through and managed to survive, he leaves the property for two weeks and he gets killed.

"Mom. Listen to me."

I waited as he shifted the phone from one hand to the other, and then lowered his voice.

"I guarantee you that he's not dead."

"How do you know?"

"Because! Just trust me, I know."

"Are you saying this man is lying to me?" Hope began to dry me up a bit, and at the same time I got a knot in my stomach. "Why would he do that?"

"Because he wants that rooster. He wants a Rhode Island Red and if you knew him like I do, you would know that he's lyin'."

This was all too bizarre to grasp.

"Why would a grown man..."

"First of all he's not a grown man, he's not much older than me, and second of all, he's not the most honest person you'd ever want to meet." He paused and then said, "Look, tonight when we get home, me and Jill will go over to Rocky's and see for ourselves. If we can't spot him, then we'll assume he's telling us the truth. But if we find him...we'll get him. If Rocky's claiming he's dead, then he can't very well come after him."

"No, this is too weird. I won't have you go tromping around on someone else's property, you're liable to get shot. You're gonna have to figure out something else."

"I wouldn't do it if I thought I was gonna get shot. Rocky will be at Bubba's Mud Pit tonight, and I have an open invitation at his house. Guys are coming and going there all the time. He wouldn't ever shoot at anybody."

I was in a real quandary here. I had had wrong done to me by having my rooster sold out from under me. The only thing Rocky was guilty of was paying less for that bird than he was worth, and he had to know it. Even if Big Red was still alive and Rocky was lying to me, by rights, that was his option. He made a deal, and a deal's a deal. By the same token, he made a deal with a minor, who didn't own the property that he traded for, and the law says a contract with a minor, however paltry, is not binding. If Rocky was lying to me, then that spoke to his integrity. In the end, Jake was wrong, and Rocky was wrong for taking advantage of a minor, and making a deal with a kid, and the end result was, I was the one who got hurt. Possibly Big Red as well, but that remained to be seen.

"All right. Here's what you do. You go on over there and see. If you find Big Red, then you call me and I'll come over there. You don't touch anything, you hear me?"

"Fine. But I promise you. We'll find him there, all in one piece."

"I hope you're right."

That evening he and Jill struck out as planned. They were gone less than an hour. When they returned they were both flushed, and sweating, and excited, and I felt like a criminal.

"Well?"

"I snuck up there and had a look around," Jake said, "and I was just getting close enough to make out what was what, when I looked up and saw blue flashing lights headed right at me. It was the sheriff!"

"All right that's it! Enough! It's over. The **** rooster is gone and that's all there is to it. I won't have you getting arrested over..."

"No! No, they weren't after me!" He laughed nervously. "Well, I thought they were and it shook me up, but Roddy Frank and Bud Hendry were drag racing and someone called the cops on them. But it scared me so bad, I ran back to the truck and we took off."

"I don't care! Nice people don't go prowling around other people's property in the dark, and that's all there is to it. It's wrong and that's that. I shoulda' never agreed for you to go in the first place and I want it dropped right now."

"Fine." Jake said. "But I think you should know that Rocky's coop was not broken into, and that he's got a half dozen big birds in there. Didn't he tell you that something got all his poultry?"

"Yeah."

"Well either he replaced them mighty fast, or just like I said, he's lyin'."

Dang it.

(to be cont)

Re: Big Red

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    (to be cont)

[/ QUOTE ]

ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKk... a new twist on one of your stories... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Well...it hasn't happened yet! All this transpired over the last forty-eight hours! I'm about ready to give up. At some point we have to act like grown-ups even if every fiber of our being demands satisfaction. I loved that stupid rooster but I'm not sure if I want to make enemies over this. If this guy is lying to me, then there is no way to handle this situation tactfully, and I need to just suck it up and get over it, and make a point of not having him on the property ever again. As for Jake.... [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Why wouldn't you walk up to the guy in person, tell him the bird wasn't for sale, go to the coop take the bird back, give the guy his 5 bucks and leave.If he argues tell him its as much as stolen property and you can have a sherriff come and settle it.

Because I don't know anything about the guy. Apparently Jake and Jill know him because he works for the school system in outside maintenence. Even though this is a small town I don't know everybody yet. According to the kids he just bought a piece of property with a small house on it and it has a little land with it, and now he is earnestly trying to fill it up with livestock. I thought about going over there, just have the kids show me where it's at and go, but I'm not so sure I want a scene with this guy. If I walk up there and the rooster is in the front yard and I confront him, what's he going to do? He'll be made a liar on the spot. Is it worth it over a rooster? Yes and no. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Remember he's claiming that something got all his birds. It's all so STUPID! Typical Jake situation.

Up until this morning I was still stuck in rooster limbo. It's been a couple of busy days and Big Red was not discussed. Jake didn't bring it up until last night, nor did I, nor have I sanctioned any more rooster surveillance missions. Through this whole ordeal the one thing that keeps coming up in my mind, is how I slipped up.

Right, Jake was wrong. Right, Rocky was wrong, but all my life I have known, respected and adhered to the 'two wrongs don't make a right' philosophy. This is the first time though, that I had to consciously keep reminding myself of the fact. I slipped up by not only allowing, but encouraging my kids to go onto someone else's property and prowl around. There is NO excuse for that. I let my emotions take over my common sense and I made a bad impression in front of my kids in the process. Last night, I set about doing damage repair.

"When do you want us to go back and look for Big Red?" Asked Jake.

"I don't. It's over. He's gone, and I'm done with the whole deal."

"But...I told you! He still has birds over there, and I'd be willing to bet that Big Red is one of them!"

"I don't care, and that's none of our business. Ya'll were wrong for going over there, and I was doubly wrong for letting you. You never...ever go on someone else's property without permission. I've been drumming that in your head all your life, and I'm sorry I let you down by allowing you to do it anyway. I don't care what the circumstances are, it's wrong. If Rocky walks that rooster down Main Street on a leash during the Memorial Day Parade NONE of us will say a word about it, you got it?"

"But I felt so bad about...I mean you were so upset...and I still think we can get him back."

"Well, I'll tell you what. If you truly feel bad and you want to make it up to me, I have a suggestion."

"WHAT!?"

He said the word so fast that I had to stifle a smile. The look on his face was priceless. A mixture of tentative hope and stubborn admission. He knows who the true guilty party in the whole deal is. Rocky couldn't have bought Big Red if Jake hadn't sold him.

"I ran into a man in town today, and he knows we run a farm. He asked me if we were in the market for some free chickens. Roosters too. Apparently, his neighbors down the road moved out and left a dozen or so chickens to fend for themselves. Looking for something to eat, they came to his place and are laying eggs all over his yard, roosting in his trees, and cra...well, you know... all over his porch. You're gonna go get 'em. You're going to catch them all and bring them to me. You'll be doing a good both for him, and for me. I'll be satisfied."

"You will? Even if there's no 'Big Red' in there?"

"Yep. Thirteen or fourteen new chickens will more than make up for one Big Red. But know this. If you ever sell anything from here without permission again, I will take everything you hold dear down to the pawn shop in town and hock it. CD player, television, guns, bicycle, whatever. Do we understand each other?"

"Yeah." Eyes downcast.

"Sometime this afternoon you need to load Dad's extension ladder and those two small livestock crates in the back of my truck. Jill's going to drive you over to where the chickens are just after sundown."

"Okay." When it dawned on him what he'd just agreed to, he pinned me with a look. "Why the extension ladder?"

"You must have missed the part where I said the chickens were roosting in the man's trees, huh?"

"What kind of trees?"

"I dunno. Oaks...pines. Trees, you know. Tall ones."

"How tall?" Fingers twitching nervously.

"Fifteen or twenty feet, probably."

"Are you TRYING to get me killed?"

"No, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing you suffer a little. Just to help you remember this occasion."

"What if I fall?"

"I would advise against it."

"Well, what if I do?"

"With any luck, you'll land on that hard head of yours."

"Very funny."

For the first time in five days we grinned at each other. With sincerity. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Cindi, I know you too well to believe that this story is over!!!

So...what happened next??? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] You sure have my interest, and probably a lot of other people's, too!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Well, we went after the chickens. I found out that the homeowners were not going to be there so I went along, and I ended up with a game rooster, a banty hen and a Rhode Island Red rooster. He's not as big as Big red was but he will be as he is just young yet. There was no need for the ladder. Jill found an empty 2 gallon Hawaiin Punch bottle lying in the yard and she used it to spook them out of the trees by chunking it at them.

I kept the RIR penned up until yesterday evening when I finally turned him loose. I now have another red rooster in my yard and all is right with my world. I would never in a million years have expected to get another one so soon. Ralph Harrison, the man who did my bio photo is coming out this weekend to do some general photos so I'll get you guys a picture of him! Jake did his pennance by doing all the running. He caught every single one of them and it was not easy as it was dark and they can run. He asked if we were even. I gave him an emphatic 'yes'. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]