Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self installation of Dish network

Re: Self installation of Dish network

We've had Dishnetwork a little over a year and no equipment problems. We typically only lose signal under two conditions. 1. The power is out. 2. It is pouring rain. The second one always fixes itself within a minute or two and is rarely repeated. The first one takes a little longer. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

We do keep the entire TV/Dish/Stereo/VCR/DVD thingy on an APC battery back-up surge suppressor. Just had to change it out last week after the big thunder storm. Forty bucks is cheap insurance.

Steve

Back to itmecindi: My receivers were RCA Brand. Direct TV could not do anything to help me (wasn't their equipment). I got the Direct TV through Wards. After the first receiver problem I went back to them (before they closed) and they advised me to contact RCA direct. No offer of help.

I "bought" the Dish Network thru Sam's Club. They set up the delivery and installation. Several posts recommend purchasing thru a local TV company and based on my "qualified installer" experience, I would second that if you can find one. The packages they sell are almost the same.

Back to itsmecindi II: Also location of the dish is VERY IMPORTANT! The DirectTV installation suggested mounting to the Chimney (for an extra fee of course). As my house is over 100 years old (didn't think the chimney would stand up to the extra pressure) I had them mount it as high on the house a possible. The installer suggested several limbs of a nearby Pecan tree needed to be removed. I was able to remove them. But every windstorm caused outages. I had someone remove more limbs higher up and this helped some.

When an installer showed up to replace the second RCA receiver (at my expense) he suggested placing it on a pole. He went around my property and found the best signal location, gave me a pole, and came back and relocated the dish after I installed the pole. I stilled lost signals during rain but not from limbs getting in the way.

The Dish Network guy used the same pole. Only lost the signal once since then.

Good Luck!

If its free I'd let someone do it. I had DirectTV installed about 8 years ago on my old house. Never had any problems. When I moved, I bought a new receiver and dish and installed it myself. Once temporarily on a 2 by 4 with a 2 by 12 base and some sakrete bags weighting it down. I kept that setup for a year!

Then I installed on the side of the metal building I live in.

Have not had any problems, and now have TIVO.

My daughter has Dish Network with the digital recorder, and they like my TIVO better. I don't know, as I'm not sure what is different about it other than it will record 2 channels at onces and theirs won't.

If your service goes out when its cloudy, the dish probably needs positioning to improve the signal. Mine only goes out a minute or two during heavy rain to the south.

I have never had any problems with receivers, including 2 RCAs and 2 Hughes. DirectTV technical support is excellent. I remember when we moved and were living out of boxes, and I finallly got the temporary setup going with a new receiver, I called them at 10:00 PM on Christmas eve to activate the receiver. No problem, it only took a few minutes.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

I never had any problems with Direct TV. They tried everything they could to keep me on the air. When the first RCA receiver went out (said no signal available), I took it back to where I bought it. They hooked my receiver up (the salesman's look said "you just don't know what you are doing) and it didn't work there either. They would not open a box and give me another receiver and called RCA for me. RCA sent me a replacement (rebuilt) receiver with a prepaid address label to send back the old one. After several months the second receiver went out. Of course the warranty had run out by this time (by about two weeks). First RCA claimed I must be doing something wrong, saying it was probably ZAPPED by lightning. After I told them that it was protected by a surge protector that even protected the phone line, they then said I would have to call a local satellite company that carried the receiver to have it replaced. I think they really only did that to "verify" that I wasn't the problem. This guy did a complete check of the entire system, even checking out the surge protection. Everything but the receiver checked out fine. He replaced the receiver at cost.

When the third receiver went out, I called RCA and got a "DON'T CALL US AGAIN". That is when I changed to Dish Network.

Although my recorder only receives one channel, Dish Network now offers a 2 channel digital recorder and, per their web site, now have one with HDTV.

good morning,
    Im have DISH TV and my local dealer has already told me when i move, to give him 3 days notice and he will install all new equipment at no charge. He is so busy (2 locations) he is opening a new one shortly. he also suggested some type of new cable [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] for the house and i called my builder and he said he uses this type of cable [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . i have only lost signal 4 or five times in the past 3 years due to weather [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    let the dealer do it....he has insurance.......

good luck,
    bluebonnet2