Thread: Checking sheep bums

Checking sheep bums

Weasley, our first Icelandic lamb, is nine days old and doing fine, as is his mother, Fudge Baaa. The other two ewes have still not given birth, though at this point they look like two large udders with sheep attached! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

My bride, the driving force behind this livestock venture, is getting nervous. No matter that Icelandics are a primitive breed well able to survive in the wild. No matter that they were giving birth for ages before mankind domesticated them. Every two hours throughout the night my wife insisted I go check the sheep! I tried debating the first few times, but gave up on that when it dawned on me that I could check the sheep and get back in bed faster than I could talk her out of it. So out into the chilly rain with my slippers and a one million candlepower light to illuminate sheep bums, back to the house to report all was well...then back to sleep for a couple of hours!

Sure am looking forward to those little lambs coming out! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: Checking sheep bums

Pete it's obvious you require a replical of a Hebridean Islanders Shepards cottage. There was room in the stone walled thatched structure for the sheep.

Egon

Re: Checking sheep bums

I would LOVE one of those! Though it would most likely result in my wife living out there while the dogs and I stayed inside the house! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Pete

Baby ewe arrived at 10:30am

All I can say is after listening to all sorts of horror stories about folks delivering lambs in the middle of the night while a blizzard raged around them...our ewes are choosing to go into labor at the most possibly convenient time for us! Bright sunshine, plenty of fresh air, with both of us well rested after a full night's sleep!

This was Bunni's first lamb and, unfortunately for her, the rear feet presented first. Not the best presentation, but not a big deal if they both come out. So Bunni strained a few times, the hips came out...and then she stopped pushing. A couple seconds later the baby's legs started kicking. Poor Bunni looked back there and saw that thing coming out of her...she just freaked! Ran around in circles so fast the lamb was expelled by centrifugal force, bounced off the wall and landed in a pile of hay! Despite a nasty scrape over her left eye, she's up and around, feeding, and investigating this big new world of hers.

Two down, one to go! Pete