Thread: I finally Caved in

I finally Caved in

And bought my first official gas grill from Lowes... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ever since I began BBQ'n in the 70's I've been a charcoal man and a few yrs ago I bought one of those table top gas bottle grill to take on the road with my travels.

Well today I went and bought a Commercial Series Char Broil (Stainless Steel / painted) with 3 brass burners.
    Life time warranty on burners
    99 years on stainless
    10 years on electronics
    2 years on the rest.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This will be most likely the last grill I'll ever buy. I still have my big Weber and barrel type charcoal grills, but I think I will donate the weber.

Tonight to christan the new grill... a rack of pork spare ribs with my special sauce and sweet corn on the cobb.... [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

The ribs, slow cooked to perfection ( according to my friend)... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

However I killed the sweet corn... can you say popcorn on the cobb ??? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I still say there is nothing better tasting than slow cooked ribs cooked on charcoal, but I have admit that I was impressed. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone else take the dive and purchased a new grill this year ?

Re: I finally Caved in

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Anyone else take the dive and purchased a new grill this year ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Several of us, I think. At least two of us bought the same Char Broil model from Home Depot, but not the better commercial one that you bought. So far, I've only done burgers, briskets, whole chickens, and chicken breasts on ours. I've never done the ribs myself, but one daughter says she knows how to make them right and was going to do that this week until she tripped, fell, and badly sprained an ankle while on the March of Dimes 5 mile hike Saturday, so she's on crutches for awhile. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Maybe we'll try those ribs in a week or so.

I'm sure you'll love it!
    I've got the same model that Bird has.
    I've not cooked ribs on it yet, I still use my smoker for those.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I think I just bought the same commercial Char-Broil grille about 3 weeks ago from Lowe's for $300. It came with a free exchange tank of propane and free assembly. Have used it about 6 or 7 times - so far so good. Came close to getting the weber that OkeeDon recommended, but couldn't see paying more for a smaller grille without the lifetime warranty on the burners. And not near as pretty. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sounds about right.. $340 is what mine cost but I insisted on the boxed verson... I wanted to assemble that puppy... LOL

I cooked the ribs for about 2 hrs and the meat fell off the bone. I start out with sectioning the ribs into 3 rib portions. coat them with a dry rub and them I set them on the fire (all burners on medium) and sear the meat (5 mins). splash a little hickory juice on them and then place them in the center and turn off center burner leaving the two outside burners on lowest settling turning them and moving them around every 20 mins.

right or wrong, they turned out great and this was just my 1st time with this grill... I think BBQ chicken Sunday... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

8NTX ... I have a suggestion that you might want to consider... [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Actually 2 ideas in the quest of perfection [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

1, The biggest issue I had with our commercial grill is the lack of impliment hangers... [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    I went to Lowes in the cabinet accessory isle I found wall hooks. I bought what appears to be "Brushed nickel" or "Stainless" hook that is deep enough to hang a 1" wide tong. I purchased 4 of them and mounted it on the table side of the grill on the end. I used the screws that came with the hook and used a 3/32 drill bit. Came in about 2" from the ends and then spaced the remaining 2 accordingly. Also of the holes were to ever get too big or screws were to pull out, you can cut a small block of wood to fit and screw into it and none of it will ever be seen.

It works fantastic..!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

2, I love the idea of the brass burners and the life time warranty, however... It doesn't give you enough smoking surface...

Yesterday I bought a 4' piece of 1 1/2" alum angle and cut it in half and laid it cross ways to give a little more surface area to vaporize the drippings for smoking and flavor... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    HOWEVER.... LOL (I love that word) I found at Walmart a expandible ceramic waffled type plate with drip holes which I'm seriouslt considering to more evenly distribut the heat and reducing or eliminate flare ups when grilling fatty foods like chicken are being cooked.
    If I do decide to get this plate, I'm not sure if I will lay it directly on the burners or leave the angle for spacing and less direct contact on the burners.

BTW... did BBQ chiken last night.. I think I'm going to luv this grill [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I bought the same grill today, but mine has 4 burners and over 800 square inches of cooking area. I can't wait to get started. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Mine cost $499.00.

Thanks for the tips. I'm embarassed to say that my son gave me a fancy set of BBQ tools about 3 years ago for my birthday, and I hardly ever use them. I have a favorite little cheapo tong/spatula that I use for almost everything.

I like the idea of the ceramic cooking plate at Walmart to help with the flare-ups. I guess that is next to the grills?

Yes, You'll find it by the accessory's and lava rocks, ect...

Maybe we should start a Stainless steel BBQ club... LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]