Thread: Renovating Bathroom

Renovating Bathroom

Our second floor bathroom is in need of renovation. The new sink has been purchased and a cbinet is being constucted. Its of farm milled oak with mortice and tenon joints and raised panells.

Next step is floor. I'm thinking of doing it in 1 inch pine planks 11 inches wide.These will be glued up with resorcinol glue, have tonge and groove and be full length. The grain will be placed for least warpage. For fastening down I intend to use a Forstner bit to drill 1/2 way through and then make slotted screw holes. The planks will be bedded in mastic and held down by semi loose screws. Round plugs to fill the forstner will then cover up the screws.

The walls will have mortice and tenon with raised panell wainscotting made of pine. They should go about 5 feet high.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Egon

Re: Renovating Bathroom

Sounds great! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    May I suggest a handicap toilet? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    They sit a little higher (easier on the knees). [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I plan on installing one in our guest bathroom. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

How are you planning to finish the floor? Finding a finish that will hold up has been my biggest problem for high traffic wet environments. In my last house I put a wood floor in the kitchen and could not get the finish to hold up in front of the sink. The combination of dampness and traffic wore the finish much more quickly there than in other spots.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    May I suggest a handicap toilet?
    They sit a little higher (easier on the knees).
    I plan on installing one in our guest bathroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Extra tall is all we installed. I've gotta say that I really like them. They're more the height of a regular chair. They might not be a good idea in a house with small children, but they sure are better for adults.

Steve

That's a good idea. We did that for two of the toilets in our new place and it is more comfortable.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

The sink was the only replacement fixture planned on. A taller water closet and you fellows will have me using a step ladder for access. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The floor finish will most likely be a prestained varathane of the type we have used on some of our other hardwood floors.

Thanks everyone.

Egon