Thread: Precast foundation systems

Precast foundation systems

We are putting a 30X60' custom modular home in upstate new york. I am researching the possibility of using a precast foundation system such as Superior walls or Thermal Krete structural and thermal precast foundation system. Does anybody have any insight into the pros and cons of these systems. They seem to be less money/time to install-however, there is no footer used in these types of systems. The walls are simply put onto 6-8" of crushed stone with a crane. The drainage systems are the same as a block or a poured foundation. These systems are approved under the building codes in most states including New York. Anybody have any experience with these systems?

Re: Precast foundation systems

I looked into using the system in western New York and toured the factory in Lima. That was over two years ago and there are some real problems since then.

At one site a contractor was back filling and a good sized rock slid into the superior wall and right on through. A rock about the same size was back filled against my 12 inch block wall and just made a dull thud.

The system has potential but there are problems. If the soil on the site is not suitable there can be surprises. You may not find out that the soil will cause problems until you dig. By that time you will probably own some walls.

The new insulation requirements were not being meet by the walls as of last year so more interior insulation had to be added.

The worst is that as far as I know you have to pay for the walls before they are delivered so you have little leverage if something goes wrong. Two of the builders who I am friendly with will not use them again because of problems.

My advise is to ask alot of questions and get it all in writing.

I just installed one for my modular home. It looks great and will be very easy to finish the basement.

I bought the Superior Walls. They changed their frost wall requirements and I had to get a concrete footer poured for the entire back of my house (all not to be backfilled). They would have waived the new requirement, but that would have invalidated the warranty. So, I went ahead and had the concrete footer poured. It still has a few inches of gravel over top, for compacting and leveling though.

Only time will tell how I like it in the long run.

Right now, I'm very unhappy with the modular home manufacturer. Windows leaked before delivery and also after, and they are so far not wanting to cover it. I'm not their customer, I have to go to the sales representative who I ordered through. They call him a builder, but he hasn't built a thing as far as I can see. THEY built it and just want to pass the buck.

Mel

Hey mvoght, I'm shopping for modulars right now. I'd be interested in more detail about your experience such as who your builder and mfr were. I also looked at the prefab foundations, I'll not try them.

Will these systems extend to below the frost line?

Otherwise I would think concrete piles bedded below the frost line and a grade beam should be required for a level stable wall.

Egon

hey all,
    I'm also looking at Superior Walls. I have some of the same thoughts/concerns. No footer? I went and looked at one that was just installed, they are kind of cool, but... the slab is higher than what they call the "steel reinforced footer beam". there is wood around the slab from the pour. i'm not sure i'm thrilled with the idea of no sub terra footer. on the other hand, i restored a house built in 1801 that had a stacked rock perimeter foundation...it's still there. i guess the backfill would hold it pretty snug against the slab. my main concern is seams. they're literature says they are sealed with a "tripple bead of Superior Seal", this stuff look/feels kind of like caulk to me...or a variation on that theme. that seems a bit impermanent to me. the systems are warrantied for 15 years, being the foundation of the house i'd wish for more than that. on the plus side: the foundation is fast, waterproofed, insulated, and can have the insulation added to between the studs, is firred and pre drilled for electrical. it's a hard call for me.
    paul

Well, I've decided to go with a poured foundation wall instead of the precast Superior Walls System. Frankly, I have heard too many people tell horror stories about their Superior walls-cracks in walls, seams that didn't come together, cracks in joints that didn't come together correctly, etc... And frankly, I found myself wondering why I wanted to go with this type of system when it has not been proven over time and this will forever be the foundation of my new home...sorry, I'm not willing to take that chance...too much of an investment-and frankly, the Superior Walls system was more expensive than the poured wall system-I couldn't justify it. Thanks for your help and comments. <font color="black"> </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color>