Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW, price of building materials=STICKER SHOCK

WOW, price of building materials=STICKER SHOCK

I am in the process of selling my home. I was intending on building a new one on our land. I knew plywood was high, but steel prices are out of this world. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I've called Heritage Steel homes to price out their kits since the pricing was removed from their website. 40% HIGHER THAN 8 WEEKS AGO. What was $27,000 for a kit is now $38,000.

I looked in the newpaper's business section and it showed the pricing of scrap metal composite now at $252/ton. One year ago it showed at $107/ton. Thats 235%

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with building red iron metal framed homes? Particularly with either Heritage in Little Rock area or Classic Steel homes in Houston. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: WOW, price of building materials=STICKER SHOCK

The price of OSB has tripled in the past year (now it's $15.49 per 7/16 sheet), but interestingly enough, the price of 2x4's is roughly the same (still hovering around $2.00). [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The price of OSB has tripled in the past year (now it's $15.49 per 7/16 sheet), but interestingly enough, the price of 2x4's is roughly the same (still hovering around $2.00).

[/ QUOTE ]

Geeze, that's cheap. Checked at Depot here today for a project coming up, and 7/16 OSB is $17.89 a sheet and 8' "premium" 2x4's are $2.59. Economy grade 7' 2x4's are still only about $1.89. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Steve

Lowe's is the one who has it for $15.49.

Find a Lowe's ad and take it to Home Depot for the price match plus 10%. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

2x4's are still relatively cheap compared to the OSB.
    OSB has tripled in price. Isn't it a good thing that didn't happen to 2x4's? I can't imagine paying $6.00 for one, could you?

Sheet goods are terrible this year and last. I'm told the goverment bought/ is buying all the sheet goods they can to send overseas. I can't verify this rumor but that's the word.

Lumber is a little higher but not much more than the last two years.

The new treated is around a dollar more per board.

Before ya go to Depot verify that they are selling the same product.

I'm guessing your looking at 1/2 inch ply.
    Some yards are selling 3ply plywood, some 4.

I also checked 3/4 treated plywood. It's actually cheaper to buy 32 sf of treated deck boards than a sheet of treated plywood. Somehow that doesn' t make sense. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Steve

Isn't it cheaper to make OSB (from scraps) than to make whole boards? Why is 1 x and 2 x prices relatively steady, but sheet goods have tripled in price? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Me thinks we are being gouged... [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

The materials for an addition we were going to put on our house have gone up $16,000 since last fall when we first priced it out. I"m kicking myself for not getting materials then.

AndyM,
    I'd guess that OSB manufacturers are capacity bound. Those presses and ovens can only work so fast and it is REAL spendy to add more of them. Sawmills on the other hand are pretty plentiful and capacity can usually be increased by increasing the hours per day of operation or adding another saw at a relatively low cost.

Not saying that there isn't any gouging out there, but supply of raw materials is only one facet of production.

Larry

Two words explain why prices have gone up -- Iraq, Halliburton