Thread: Water Pressure

Water Pressure

We are building a new house. Water to the house is supplied by a well (1.8 gpm) to a cistern (1500 gal) and then to the house (there is a pump in the cistern also). I've been looking for a way to have constant water preasure, rather than the 30 - 50 psi or 40 - 60 psi preasure tank settings. I have found a couple of ideas, ranging from $750 to $3000, but I am looking for something less expensive.

Is it possible to set the preasure tank at 60-80 psi and then use a simple preasure control valve that limits the preasure to 60 psi or 50 psi? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Any suggestions are welcome!

Herbie

Re: Water Pressure

Two words!

Water Tower!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Many RV's have a demand style system with no pressure tank. The pump kicks in as soon as the pressure drops and stays running while water is being used.

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] A problem like this is usually solved by using a larger hydropneumatic storage system. The larger the pressure tank is and the closer it is to point-of-use, the better chance you have of getting a flatter pressure delivery curve. You do not have to use the 20-40 or 30-50 spread; you can close that up to ten pounds of differential instead of twenty. You would want a larger pressure vessel in order to prevent short-cycling the cistern booster pump when you are operating at such a close pressure differential. Nowadays, with the advent of reliable variable speed motors, many water suppliers have gone to the vari-drive because it can follow demand so closely and give you at or near-perfectly-constant delivery pressure. The vari-drive monitors system pressure and adjusts the pump shaft speed accordingly. Of course they run 24/7 and require a full time maintenance crew, but what the heck, that's what all those extra bedrooms are for right? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Better late than never or never than late?

Pressure regulator set at low pressure setting of the well pump will do as you asked and surmised. You will get the same pressure all the time if you don't use more water than the pump can deliver at that pressure.

Sorry Gary but for constant pressure the tank would have to approach infintessimal height (of the tank itself) mounted a distance above the point of use as required to provide the required head. Sure would be a funny looking tank, Charley Brown! Shapped like a flattened flying saucer atop a TALL tower.

Patrick [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Herbie
    Constant Pressure is easy and not that expensive. A pressure regulating valve will deadhead a pump at the pressure it is set at, which will burn up a pump or motor. Take a look at the Web page www.cyclestopvalves.com. This simple valve cost only $85.00 and will do Constant Pressure better than anything else on the market. Variable speed pumps are expensive and still have many bugs to work out. Many pump manufactures do not like the Cycle Stop Valves because they make pumps last longer and can be used with smaller tanks. Exactly why you need one.

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

I spoke to the guy that installed the well & cistern and he has recently started using the Cycle Stop Valves. After talking to him I'm going to try the valve.

Herbie