Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hole hunting

Re: hole hunting

I sometimes wonder what percentage of the population has strong feelings about how their body is disposed of after death. Apparently quite a high percentage. It was important to my parents that they be buried in the same cemetery where most of Dad's family is buried, and it was apparently important to those ancestors. But my youngest brother and I are breaking the tradition, I suppose. He has told his wife and son that he wants to be cremated and scatter the ashes on the #1 tee box of the nearest golf course. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And I've told my wife and daughters to dispose of my remains by the cheapest means available; cremation and put the ashes in the trash can, donate the corpse to a medical school, or whatever.

Well I sometimes wonder if there is really any religious standards for how bodies are interred or disposed of, or if it matters. Some people believe that if you are cremated you have no vessel for the afterlife. That would be a bummer. With me it's all about the claustrophobia thing.

Bird,
    I lost a person that was very dear to me this week and it was the family's wish to donate her body to the Ohio State Medical School if she was in "good enough" condition for them to accept her. They did, and we all breathed a sigh of relief that maybe someone, somewhere, will learn something from all of this. When she has given them everything they "need", she will be cremated and the ashes returned to the family, if they so desire.
    I hope, someday, I will be able to see her smiling face again.

I'm sorry about your loss Inspector, I hope I wasn't insensitive. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Jerry, I'm sorry about the loss, and I think the family did a very sensible, and generous, thing.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I lost a person that was very dear to me this week and it was the family's wish to donate her body to the Ohio State Medical School if she was in "good enough" condition for them to accept her. They did, and we all breathed a sigh of relief that maybe someone, somewhere, will learn something from all of this. When she has given them everything they "need", she will be cremated and the ashes returned to the family, if they so desire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear that. My Dad was donated to the Ohio Medical School last Winter. They told us it could be quite awhile until his ashes are returned. (Up to 2 years, if I recall right). It was his and my Mom's wish that someone be able to learn from them after their passing.

Steve

Cindi,
    Not insensitive at all...... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Good! (whew)

I've always told my wife that I want to be cremated and scattered from atop Pike's Peak in Colorado. With a good wind, I figure I could cover up to 3 or 4 states. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Of course it would still be nice to have some sort of memorial marker for decendant relatives to visit someday.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    be nice to have some sort of memorial marker for decendant relatives to visit

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's true, but I figure your kids will visit it occasionally, your grandkids perhaps rarely, and after that no one. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]