Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP-garden tracor gets stuck alot-need posi

HELP-garden tracor gets stuck alot-need posi

we have a 25hp 48" garden tractor that gets stuck at least 5 times a day due to only one tire spins.my question is that how can one get a posi[diferental lock] in a 2500.00 garden tractor??who makes such a unit.i know hydro gear lists it as an option but there tech line was clueless??

Re: HELP-garden tracor gets stuck alot-need posi

Not sure about a posi track for your machine, but I know tractor type ag tires would help, also chains on the tires, maybe weights too.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Try different tires. You can try leaning side to side too; sometimes the weight shift will get traction to the otheer tire.

Otherwise, open up up the rear diff, get the welder out, and weld up the spider gears... Ppresto, instant spool!

<font color="blue"> Otherwise, open up up the rear diff, get the welder out, and weld up the spider gears... Ppresto, instant spool! </font color>
    This would do wonders on the lawn with every turn! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

When one tire spins, I've had limited success by lightly applying the brakes. Other than that, I simply avoid those areas of the lawn that are soft/muddy. If the grass gets real high, I use a string trimmer.

I have the same problem. Chains work OK in the winter, but make a mess of the lawn. Do they make R4 tires in smaller sizes?

That was the entry level posi for cheap stock cars; weld the spiders.

The brakes can definitely help, as can shifting your weight around.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Do they make R4 tires in smaller sizes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, but it depends on the size. Check eBay, there's usually a bunch of different sized tires for garden tractors on there. You might also be able to use ATV tires, which also have quite an agressive tread, or to switch out rims from a small car. If I recall right, some Dodge rims can be swapped out.

Steve

Thanks for the good suggestions. The tractor has 23x10.5 turf tires. I have kept my eyes on Ebay looking for a spare set of rims for an agressive winter tire. But this five-lug wheel is almost never available there. I don't want too agressive a tire, as it's primary purpose is to mow the lawn.

Had a similar traction problem mowing my hillside place. Finally got some Ag-type tires at Tractor supply.

They do tear up the lawn if you spin, but it grows back! I have even mowed in standing water on the wet spots below the pond with no problems. Don't get stuck and even more stable while mowing on side hills. The uphill tire does tend to spin unless I lean on that side.

Good luck!

I think I have 23x10.5 on mine also and, yes, there are lug type tires available. You really need to check that bolt pattern, because I understood that a number of machines had interchangeable patterns.

For mine, I just got some chain and welded up a set of chains. I leave them on year around and put up with the little bit of scuffing I get.

Steve

Steve