Thread: Request Opinions on prairie gumbo soil.

Request Opinions on prairie gumbo soil.

Down here in south central Alabama we have a lot of prairie clay soil AKA prairie gumbo. Next spring I want to plant a patch of corn along with a separate backdoor veggie garden. What would some of you suggest? Staking out a patch of the prairie soil and tilling in a mixture of topsoil, manure, and lime? Or perhaps putting in some raised bed gardens with topsoil, manure, lime, and some sand. Any/all suggestions welcomed and TIA (thanks in advance). And, yes, I am a novice at this so feel free to offer advice. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Re: Request Opinions on prairie gumbo soil.

First thing I'd recommend would be to get a soil analysis. County extension agents have all the information and material and it's pretty cheap. Then you'd know just what nutrients you need. I had what a local soil engineer called Wilson Clay Loam; other folks just called it black clay or gumbo and I never used or needed any lime, and never used any commercial fertilizer, but I did till in lots of wood chips, as well as cow and rabbit manure, and had a great garden.