Thread: Short or Tall Hay

Short or Tall Hay

I planted my fields in fescue (KY 31) and white clover last October. I don't really need the hay this season. Would I get a better crop in the fall if I mow it down now and let it grow back or wait and cut it in late summer?

Would it have less weeds that way or be any more palatible?
    (Our survey says 4 out 5 cows prefer...?) [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Short or Tall Hay

The answer is yes to all of your questions. By cutting the clover now you will be giving the ground some great fertilizer. It will also cut the weeds down that tend to grow fast in the spring. Usually the grass and clover will choke out the weeds then. Mowing will also increase the density of your grass.

As far as hay goes the sooner you cut the hay the better. The coarser and taller the grass gets the more protein and palatability you will lose. Animals don't like to eat the coarse stems of taller grass nearly as well.

Re: Short or Tall Hay

I have found that with fescue the more you cut it the better. Just do not cut it very short in the hot summer since it goes dormant and you will want enough to shade the roots.
    Cutting it tends to control the weeds.

That white clover won't do you much good for hay since it grows so low, but it will reduce the need for fert.

Fred