Thread: Frazer fur Christmas trees

Frazer fur Christmas trees

Thought of growing Christmas trees, but was told Frazer furs wouldn't grow in the middle TN area. I've seen some nice ones in front yards so it's puzzling me. Anyone know why this tree not good to grow for Christmas trees in this area?

Re: Frazer fur Christmas trees

Roypat2126 :

I did a Google search on "Fraser Fir growing conditions" and found the following :

"Fraser fir grows in a cold, moist climate characterized as a cool-temperate (microthermal) rain forest with a well-distributed mean annual precipitation of 1900 to 2540 mm (75 to 100 in) and average summer temperatures of 16° C (60° F) or less. Main propagation is in areas higher than 5500 ft elevation".

How does your area fit into this climate band???
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Thanks for your reply NSBound,
    Well, middle Tennessee isn't anywhere close to the microclimate you mention...so I reckon cultivating one or two fir trees isn't that big a stretch but perhaps 5 acres is a bit over the top. Guess I want do trees. Say Ian, your bio shows you do metalwork...do you have a forge? I'm startin to rebuild my barn and plan to have a woodshop and mechanic shop (blacksmithin shop). I make bouy bell wind chimes and would like to do gate, door and cabinet hardware. Thanks for your info on the Fraser fir trees, I forgot about doing computer search and best of everything with your move to NS. I've not been there but if anything like Alaska and British Columbia it's Gods' country for sure, my friend.
    God Bless,
    Roy

Man, have I been busy! I say this as it is my only "excuse" for throwing out what little I know about this so late.

My wife's uncle lives in the mountains of NC north of Asheville. He is growing these fir trees, as well as lots of other stuff, boxwoods, ect. I picked his brain last year on options for us here- we have a 5.5 acre field that used to be for a few feeder cattle- the price made getting back into cattle this year a little too expensive for our tastes. We boarded two horses as a favor for a friend, as well as to see if we'd be interested in this as a means of utilizing this land for making a little money... nope. I never dreamed horses would cause me so much work or gray hair. Three minor injuries, 200 ft. of repaired fence, installation of an electric fence, and lots of time went into them. Horses cost money... and we wound up eating the costs as the friend wound up selling them at a loss. We decided the experience alone was worth the time... glad we got the "cheap" experience.

I am in the middle of debating what to do also. Best uncle can give us is start working the ground, tilling it, fertilizing it, and see if we can reclaim it. It is pasture filled with weeds, bushhogging hasn't seemed to help in the past two years. The ground is rock hard- probably hasn't been worked in 20 years.

Frazier Fir is out definetely... he says it just isn't cool or moist enough here to make them grow. They do best at high altitudes... he is at 5600 feet.
    We are looking at pumpkins right now... IF we can get this field in shape before next year. Also considering boxwoods, though I don't yet know anything about the market for them here.
    If you find something and want someone else to try it first (on a limited basis) let me know. I have the space, time, and the resources to try it, and probably live fairly close to you.
    The other thing he has warned us about is we have to have irrigation no matter what we decide to grow. We have a well, though it is not operational right now... that is my next project.
    Anyway- I don't know if this helps... I hope so though.
    If I stumble on something that works well, I'll post it.
    C1