Thread: Got another Maple log

Got another Maple log

Just got another maple log 12 feet by 30 inches from across the street.

Dragged it home on pavement with my B7100 using a 3/8 inch chain. Had to roll the log over the chain and then the three point could not lift the end. Dragging it for 300 feet wore one chain link out. Surprized me. Scared me. It happened on a 15 degree slope. Fortunetly the log did not roll and I had several wedges to block it with while the chain was hooked up again.

Now to cut it up and dry it and make toothpicks and sawdust.

Egon

Re: Got another Maple log

Are you gonna use your "Egon" saw mill?
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

You betchum. The new revised version.

Egon

Egon, In general, how long do you have to air dry boards sawn out of fresh cut logs before you can do anything with them and not have the results be messed up by dimensional instability? For example the maple logs. I don't have access to maple but some oak, pecan, hickory... I have a handle on the cedar, it dries pretty fast.

Also, do you think a little Mac Eager Beaver (16 inch) with a ripping loop wouild be useful as an edger or should I consider using the 32 inch Husky? I would just as soon not have to constantly take the Husky in and out of the Alaskan mill.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

I'm definetly no expert on drying. It varies for different species, size of lumber and local climate. It also will depend on how you use the wood and the way the grain is cut. Variables are many. A sort of rule of thumb is 1-1/2 -- 2 years. Some Ive used after one year. There are moisture meters on the market but have no experience with them .

As for edging You may be able to use your mill and then rotate the log 90 degrees. Doing this may waste some good lumber. If the boards are thin enough perhaps a skill saw will do. Another option would be an electric chain saw. Then again another smaller gas chainsaw may be very handy as the 32 in. will probably be a bit awkward to use for many applications.

What I use for a mill is actually an edger. Purchased units are in the neighbour hood of $50 dollars and just clamp to the bar.

Pete and Beenthere would be better qualified at answering these questions than Myself.

Egon