Thread: Chemical applications and well water

Chemical applications and well water

Hello all. Being new to having a well for household use, my wife and I are being very cautious about what we use in the yard and garden as far as chemicals.

However, after having found ticks on our children and our dog, my wife has now declared all out war on the ticks [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Any suggestions on methods/products that will be effective but not "poison" the well?

Do we really need to be as cautious as we are being about the well? Right now we have a zero-use policy as far as chemicals outside of the house.

Thanks
    JPirt

Re: Chemical applications and well water

Welcome to CBN, JPirt. I applaud your effort to keep the unnatural stuff off the ground, because if you put it there the rain will carry it down. I have not yet tried this, but I've read that guineas (and other fowl, for that matter) will clean the area of ticks, ants, and what have you. You may not have the neighbors who will appreciate the sounds and smells, but we are looking forward to trying this more natural method of pest control.

Some things will migrate rapidly into the well water and some will not.

Pesticides might do it, if you used them on a large enough scale. Alot depends on the depth and type of the well, and the type of soil it is in.

If you are concerned, you might consider something like Sevin, which breaks down quite rapidly.

Steve

The depth and aquifier the well is pumping from may indicate what you are in control of.

Egon

I found this article after I replied to you, JPirt.

Mother's letters

Thank you all so much for your ideas.

Just for completeness, my well is 112 ft deep. The soil is mostly clay, with some sand at around 88 ft, lime around 100 ft and then limestone to finish it out.

JazzDad, the article was most informative. Guinea seem a little too vocal for us but the Muscovy Ducks sound like a solution.

Thanks again
    John

It would appear your well aquifier is not connected to the yard surface water if the casing is sealed properly.

Egon