Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Texas Tree Farm

Re: A Texas Tree Farm

My background is a Professional Tree Buyer for 8 years now, a BS in horticulture and a passion for trees. I have a few comments.....

First a Container grown tree is inferior to a B&B tree in 9 out of 10 cases given both are a top quality outfit. However there is a place for the container tree farms.

First being in Texas you are slightly out of my market. I buy typically from the Carolina's, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, TN. I do get stuff from Texas, but not as often as my Tree buddies (growers) send things that way.

The tree market has been pretty cut throat for the last three years on this side of the country a drop in almost 65% of the market value on many trees. The container prices you listed are fairly reasonable to within the limits of what I would spend.

A few things that I have seen. Mobile home stakes. Not sure what the are used for on mobile homes, but I know a container grower that uses them to keep his trees in the big cans from blowing over.

Drip Irrigation is good, but if a head clogs and you dont catch it kiss that tree goodbye. Probably a good option for a startup farm, but you may want to keep in mind a sprinkler irrigation system that has a 100% run off capture rate into a retention pond. Wight's Monrovia in lower Georgia has industry leading retention pond that cleans the nitrates and other chemicals from the water so that it can be returned back to the enviroment when the rain brings to much water. Very interesting. Since they have done it in conjunction with the EPA and Government I am sure they would talk to you about it. If interested I can find you a contact.

I have seen people use a rubber mulch on the top of the pot for weeds. That way you pull it before you ship and slap it on the next tree.

Most of the time growers are friends in these parts. I am sure you will find some that are willing to give some advice. Join ANLA and attend a local trade show. Wow the things you will find and see your first time to a major Nursery Trade Show. Also you may want to consider buying American Standards for Nursery Stock ANSI Z60.1-1996. While it is not an answer all type book, it does provide some basic technical data that some particular buyers will hold as a minimum.

The biggest thing I can stress, is product diversity. I have seen many farms struggle, and while many of your more diverse product may not sell as fast it helps some buyers fill out an order. (example: Quite often I am buying 6 Chioanthus. I cant ship just six trees. So I will look for a grower that has my Chioanthus and then I order the 50 Acer, or 50 Quercus that I may need plus the Chioanthus to make a truck for shipping.)

In addition the cycles come and go. What is hot right now, will 80% of the time be not in 2 years, and what is a glutton right now is gone soon thereafter. Two Years ago I was buying 100 River Birch at a time 24' in height for $80.00. Right now they are few and far between. Dont get on the backside of this curve. If you are reacting to a market trend typically you are to late. Becuase as you know a tree doesnt grow in 6 or nine months.

Most importantly good luck,

Have fun with the Hard Work!

<font color="blue"> Also you may want to consider buying American Standards for Nursery Stock ANSI Z60.1-1996. </font color>

You can get the 2004 version online for free in PDF.

ANLA Standard Z60.1-2004

meledward23: Do you have any opinions on trees grown with RootMaker products? In particular the knit fabric bags in the field.

B&amp;B trees lose so much of their root structure when dug out of the ground, where-as the rootbags retain a very high percentage of the roots, and have nearly 100% success when transplanting.

<font color="blue"> Two Years ago I was buying 100 River Birch at a time 24' in height for $80.00. </font color>

I would think that would be a tree of more than 4" caliper. $80? That can't be the norm for a typical 4" caliper tree. Was it that low in price because of the glutton of supply? Wouldn't a Quercus of 4" have a wholesale price over $200?

<font color="blue"> Most of the time growers are friends in these parts. </font color>

Your profile is blank, so I'm not sure what "these parts" mean.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I'll email you some price info.

As far as the River Birch, exactly $80 is probably about the cost to have dug the tree and load it. There were so many trees on the Market that growers were just trying to cover the cost of moving the trees off their property instead of dozing them. Now, I have a hard time finding that tree and it's price is skyrocketing.

RootMaker bags. Unless there have been improvements in them, we had very bad experiences with them 10-12 years ago. Personally I would look at a pot in pot system if you want to do in ground but removable system.

Trees dug B&amp;B loose part of their root system. It is a good pruning for them in most cases. I buy from one grower that prune the roots of his B&amp;B trees two or three times during it's growing on his farm. Even my most inept foreman has a hard time killing one of these trees.

In short I would say the following without writing a thesis:

B&amp;B is better for the long term health of a tree, for a better survival rate when done correctly.

Containers are cheaper, easier to install, and make the quick buck easier.

Both are very viable and neither market should be completely neglected.

As a simple example Between yesterday and today I have had 97 trees delivered. 47 were Container grown.

Profile Updated:

These Parts - Really referring to the Growers in SC, GA, TN

BTW,

When I buy B&amp;B I expect a 100% success rate as well. In fact one grower from which I buy knows that my success rate is so high he has never questioned a warranty request. And in those rare events it is for one out of two hundred + trees.

Where are you located? My Mom and dad live in Frisco

I would like to come and see your place ...

Where do you get your containers?

Is there a market for anything smaller than 10 Gallon?

Do you wholesale only?

thanks for your input...

<font color="blue"> RootMaker bags. Unless there have been improvements in them, we had very bad experiences with them 10-12 years ago. </font color>

You are not thinking of the same company -- RootMaker Products has not been around that long.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y