Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's your garden?

Re: How\'s your garden?

Rhonda, I'm surprised to see that you planted okra in West Virginia. My wife was from West Virginia, her dad always had a big nice garden, but none of the family ever ate any okra until they came south to visit.

If you go to www.growers.harrisseed.com and look at the first year flowering perennials. Ii have most of them...like Foxglove,lupins,delphenium,hollyhocks,tickseed,sha sta Daisey,salvia,bellis-english daisey and many others. They are all popular and SELLIN! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] My annuals and tomatoes are about gone. still got mellons eggplants and peppers though and a few annuals i started late after i sold out [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] they'll fill out soon though
    Thanks for askin whats growin
    sorry no website yet
    Larry

This is my first year in my new house at my new location so I have a very small garden. I have three roma and three big boy tomatoes and 12 jalepeno and 12 sweet bell peppers. I have been eating peppers for about a month now and picked my first maters about a week and a half ago. Right now I have about a dozen fresh maters on the counter that I picked this morning and a hand full of peppers.

Next year's garden will be a little bigger. I plan on adding cucumbers, crookneck squash, okra and maybe some watermelons and cantalope. Then maybe the following year I will add corn, beans and peas to the list. Before you know it I will have a genuine truck patch!
    Chris

wrong link....i hope this works
    http://growers.harrisseeds.com

Hoping to revive this thread a little ,I have some questions about growing corn ,First what do you put on it or spray on it too keep the bugs (corn beetle,corn worm etc.)from destroying the corn, Second when and how often should you use it? Any other advice would be appreciated ,Thanks... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There is a variety of chemicals that you can put on to prevent the corn borers, some are natural some not. Watch the corn, look for signs of activity, eggs under the leaves. According to my research, the first application should be done about the time of tasseling.

Malathion be acceptable? Diazonon too powerful,? Have to remember I want to eat this stuff! I'm not a "only natural stuff" kind of yic dilly farmer ...(not to offend anyone,for comedy value) How long before harvest is the last time to spray?....Also any other products that might be available?
    I'm getting silk now and don't want to lose my corn this year as it has been the best year for my garden weatherwise around here for about 4 yrs...Last year way too wet [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Generally if the corn around here is planted early the worms aren't a big problem. If you're a little late and the corn comes off in July things get different! I would try 10% Sevin dust.
    And as to my garden... The weeds have about taken it this year with all the rain. Merit and shupeg is silking but not quite ready. Black crowder peas will be ready within a week. Butterbeans are sickly from all the rain. Okra needs some hot dry weather!