Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotten Egg Smell Hot Water Only

Rotten Egg Smell Hot Water Only

Hi: [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I am new to this forum so please excuse me.

Recently my fiance and I moved from an area where all was public. Now in the country we have well water, I never knew what trouble it could be.

When we first moved in there was no smell and no yellow color in the water. After living in the house for a couple of months there was a yellowing in the water (toilets were noticable only), and then when I did white laundry (hot water), boy did I receive a surprise. The end result was all the whites were now beige. At this point I did all whites in cold water as this did not produce the yellowing.

Shortly after this I was taking a shower one morning and noticed the rotten egg smell, I thought one of the dogs had passed wind and thought nothing about it till I was washing dishes and noticed the same order again.

We called someone in to take a look at the system, he said that it was the softner. He also said the prior owner switched out the timer with the softner and iron filter as one was broken. The gentleman fixed the timer and swapped them out and then told us for the yellowing to add a mix of Iron Out and water to the salt container for the softner.

Since then finally we now have no more yellowing, this took 4 months but the egg smell was still there. We jacked up the heat on the water heater which helped a little but our monthly bill was out of control. We broke down and bought a new more efficient water heater. For the last month we have been odor free, until a few days ago, the smell came back and is just as bad but it was not gradual like before. It was subtle one day and strong the next.

Two weeks ago a gentleman came to the door, he was from the town and needed to check the water, as there were problems with dumping years back and they were required by law to check the water. We knew nothing of this from the prior owner. We should have our test results sometime this week. Also the water was tested before we purchsed the house and came out fine.

All in all, our cold water is fine it is perfectly clear with no strange odor.

The hot water is clear but smells bad.

Right now we are very low on funds and time regarding this situation. <font color="blue"> </font color>
    I have seen all the information from the postings and my head is spinning for a good direct result.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Amy [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Administrator

Re: Rotten Egg Smell Hot Water Only

The rotten egg smell that you are experiencing is most likely hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas. Hydrogen sulfide gas is a natural product of decay, and in a residential setting, is most commonly a result of decomposition in septic or sewer systems. Some communities that have high concentrations of sulfur in their soil also tend to have detectable hydrogen sulfide in their water.

While extremely high levels of hydrogen sulfide can indeed be harmful, even deadly, H2S is one of those chemicals that can be detected by the nose at an extremely low level. In fact, it can be detected by the human nose at a concentration 1/400 times lower than the threshold for harmful human health effects.

The short, good news, therefore, is that it is probaly not causing any harm to you. The bad, long news is, that short of drilling a new well (not always a solution), you will need to treat your water with chlorine to get rid of the smell.

Do NOT just dump chlorine into your well. Here is a thread on the topic at Tractorbynet.com Smelly Well Water .

Those who have had a chlorinator installed professionally say it costs around $750.00.

We used to live in rural Upstate New York. Maybe 10% of the homes had "sulphur water." The odor is really obnoxious and not acceptable to most people. Some have success in drilling a new well. But there does not seem to be any absolute pattern -- sometimes houses are right next door to each other --- one has suplhur, one doesn't.

I suggest you go read the TBN thread, and check the links there too. Do NOT accept at face value any advice from well drillers or water treatment salespeople. Come back here or TBN, and people will give you accurate advice before spending money.

All the best.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Administrator

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your email note, and I really wish you all the best in resolving your water problem.

We had the exact same (smell) problem for 6 years at our place. I wound up putting in reverse osmosis (RO) system for the sink, and an auto-flushing carbon system for the rest of the water. The carbon cost about $1,500. The advantage is that it is automatic, and does not need monthl;y filters.

By the way, I got quotes all the way up to $12,000 to "fix" the problem. I finally found a water engineer who worked for the Navy, who told me what I really needed. I did get a full assay of the water at a commercial lab. That cost $300, but it told me with real certitude, what was in the water. I found out there were no chemical farming fetilizer residues (an issue where we lived). Other than the "smell" my water was great!

I think the previous owner just had an inline carbon filter right off the pressure tank. That would cost the least, although filters, which are needed every 30 days or so, were around $30.

In the future, the best thing is to respond right on the Countrybynet.com web site. That way, others who may have a similar situation can read our exchanges.

All the best, and thanks for your participation.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

You have an anode in your water heater that has reached it's last leg. Look on top of the heater and you will see a pipe plug. Turn the water off and depressurize the system you don't need to drain it. Thke the plug out and cut whats left off or just put a plug or new anode in it's place. No big deal really. If hot and cold stank you would have a real problem. I just cut one off 2 weeks ago.

mikell

With the smell only being in the hot water it can be deal with easily. There are anode rods in the water heater. What they do is lend themselves as a nobler metal to be eaten away by certain elements in the water instead of the tank its self. Companys made special rods to do away with the rotten egg smell (sulfer) so by removing the the rods that are there now and putting the correct ones in for the condition that you have will do the trick. I recently built a new home and had the same problem (smell), changed the rods and smell it gone.

What the last two posts said is right on.

I noticed you stated that the odor is only from the hot water side and your cold water has no odor. I had/have a similar problem. I was about to buy an expensive carbon filter tank set when I decided to talk to the owner of my local store where I buy my salt. My cold water has no odor and tastes good, well is about 70 ft deep. When I use my hot water, an odor develops and smells similar to sulfur. The clear plastic discharge line from my water softener is almost black on the inside of it (bacteria). My water guy says it's a bacteria problem and it collects in the hot water heater tank also. Frustrated and the tank being 10 yrs old, I replaced it. For one week I had normal water again and no hint of any odors. All of a sudden the odor started coming back. Water guy says I need to put one gallon of bleach down my well head and don't use the water for 24 hrs. That should clear up the bacteria. I haven't done the bleach in the well yet because it's difficult not to use your well for 24 hrs, i'll have to wait where we'll all be gone for day somewhere and even then it will be less then 24 hrs. What my well guy says makes sense. I had a friend do the same to his well and it cleared it up. Do not use more than one gal. of bleach though. That is my experience so far and I've been on well water for 15 years and this is the first time I developed odor issues on the hot water side. A good iron filter or regular iron additive to your softener will help your laundry out......

Hello …
    I’m late to discover this site… Looks very interesting.

Your problem with smelly HOT water is, like has been stated, The ANODE rod.

I don’t know where you are located, but if you have a plumbing supply warehouse near you need to pick up an ALUMINUM anode rod. Just tell them you want a ‘stinky water’ anode [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] , they will know what you want. Should be around $5.

Your tank like all tanks came with a MAGNESIUM rod. They both will serve the intended purpose, but the aluminum will not react with your sulfur content like the magnesium is. Change this rod and your problem will go away. All tanks use the same length rod, so you will not need anything made special for your tank. If yours is a few years old… and I suspect it is probably the original that came with the tank. You will find the plug/rod on top like was also stated.
    Good Luck, KennyV

http://www.awqinc.com/h2s.html

This looks like a good article.

I too concur with replacing the rod.
    You may also want to drain a few gallons out of your hot water tank (put a hose on the valve at the bottom and drain some).
    I'd recommend draining into a bucket. You'll most likely find there's a fair amount of sediment in it. That may generate some smell as well. I'd continue to flush until the water runs clear.