Thread: Cow barn to woodshop: advise

Cow barn to woodshop: advise

This is a request for advise, opinions and help. I am converting my 30x40 cow/hay barn to a woodshop. I can concrete the floor but with the heavy rains we get here I am concerned with wicking moisture up through the poles (telephone poles) causing problems and a way for termites to enter. I will also lose head room in the side shed-rooms with a level floor. The poles didn't have any special water barrier before setting in the ground. So should the wicking be a concern in a woodshop? (no real problem here in TN with frost heave) Should I take advantage of this structure which is a solid 15 yr building or just pour and build new?

Re: Cow barn to woodshop: advise

If its a solid building take advatage of it.

Just a thought but on the poles can one drill a downward slanted hole in them and then keep the hole filled with a wood preservative. It should disperse throught the pole.

No idea about termites.

Egon

Why not get a termite treatment company to come out and check the place for you. You can of course put a moisture barrier down before you place the concrete and down here in Florida, since the termites are so bad, we are required to treat the soil under the concrete before we place concrete.
    I should have added this ... the termite treatment under the concrete slab is a code requirement and if you cannot prove that it was done you will not get your "Certificate of Occupancy" from the building inspection Department. This one code requirement I don’t mind!
    Leo

Egon and EM14 thanks for the tips. Perhaps the wood preservative might work like WD40 and displace moisture, and help keep the ends dry. I have a long bit that will work good for that. By all means, I will have the ground treated for termites before pouring concrete. (don't know why they are called "term" ites as once they get in they're pretty perminant........until "term"inated. With the slab around the poles should I drill perpendicular and drive in steel rebar to set in the concrete? It would stop any movement between the slab and the poles. Anyhow, hope you guys have a blessed holiday and give thanks for those warriors that gave their lives for the freedom we hold dear in this countrys' country. I heard a theory that the oil sepage from the USS Arizona will stop when her last surviving man passes on. My hat is off in humble honor to all that fought for this great country and live to tell their story.
    roy

Think I'd leave the posts free from the concrete. And remember I've no idea if the holes filled with wood preserviative will work.

Egon

Egon, I have found glass vials placed in the base of telephone poles. They were designed to weep the fluid over time. I heard they are replacing some of these type poles because of environmental concerns over the fluid in the vials.

I found the vial with a chain saw, ouch!!!

I've head of that too on another post on one of the forums.

Egon

Thanks guys for your input, but with the old barn sittin in a low spot that gets much water through its' floor in rainy weather, I've decided to build on slab about 75ft from original which is a bit higher ground. The county will not let me keep the old one so I'll tear it down using material in the new...I can relieve a little stress takin it down.........
    Have a blessed day,
    roy