Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weeds along fence line

weeds along fence line

I want to get rid of weeds along my barbwire fence. It is 15 acres of fence line. What does everyone use to safely eradicate weeds in this case. I have cattle on the land, so I have to be carefull what I do. Is Roundup safe for this use?

thanx

Re: weeds along fence line

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is Roundup safe for this use?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what my neighbors and I used.

I just sprayed a mile and half with generic roundup. I try to do that every year. It'll take a few applications on trees. And cedar trees seem to be imune.

A weedeater with blades, or deer!
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Roundup works just fine. I do worry about the few hours before it gets absorbed by the plants, but so far I haven't killed any livestock. It does a pretty good job and is supposed to be fairly "friendly" to people and animals. 'Course, "Agent Orange" was supposed to be harmless to the Vietnam soldiers we dropped it on back then... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> ( I do worry about the few hours before it gets absorbed by the plants, but so far I haven't killed any livestock. ) </font color>

Roundup is about as dangerous as drinking dish soap. The nice thing is that you are only using a couple ounces of it per gallon, so the mixture you are spraying on the weeds I would say is pretty safe.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Thanx for all the replies! I am going to clear my fence line with it. Weedeater sounds good, but we have very PERSISTANT weeds down here in Texas [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] They need to be eliminated with 'extreme prejudice'!

Another good product is called "sahara" it stops any growth for a year.
    Roundup in my experience has controlled growth for a month at a time.

<font color="blue"> Roundup in my experience has controlled growth for a month at a time. </font color>

Roundup only kills existing weeds by the weed absorbing the Roundup through it's leaves. It is not a pre-emergent that will kill any future growth such as Sahara is.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Roundup is about as dangerous as drinking dish soap. The nice thing is that you are only using a couple ounces of it per gallon, so the mixture you are spraying on the weeds I would say is pretty safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda disagree with such a broad statement. I use the 41% generic stuff from Agri-Supply mixed according to the directions. If I spray while wearing shorts and any of the spray mist makes its way onto my legs it will burn. It takes 5-10 mins for me to feel it but it does burn. I would also recommend eye protection while spraying.
    My friends just call me Mad.