Thread: What to charge for landscaping?

What to charge for landscaping?

Anybody have a website, advice, suggestions, etc. on what to charge for various small landscaping jobs? A friend of mine who is extremely knowledgeable concerning the layout, planting, trimming, etc. of bushes, plants, evergreens, and the like would to take on small jobs. However he does not know what to charge. He's done a few jobs for neighbors and the work look fabulous. The problem that I see is that they take advantage of him. He's very kind to everyone and because of that he is reluctant to "jack" up the price. He'll purchase plants, etc. for a customer and charge them what he pays. He doesn't even ask for gas money, just a few bucks for planting them. He told me of one job where he charged $700 for everything and then found out that the owner had a previous estimate of $3,000. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I try to tell him that you don't have to rip the people off but make sure that you make a reasonable profit. Like I said he is most kind and does a beautiful job but he now is starting to feel used and needs to decide what to charge that is more in line with what is fair. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: What to charge for landscaping?

Stanley,

This site is geared toward professional lawn workers...
    http://www.lawnsite.com/

turnagerg, thank you I'll check it out. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Stanley, how are you doing?

Another site to try is LawnCafe.com.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Dave, doing fine, thanks for the info.

Try the "Contractors Pricing Guide 2004; Means Residential Detailed Costs" avalailable at Home Depot, Lowes, ect.

Also remember, in most places he needs a contractors license for anything over $500 total job price. And, a business license...

Im in the business for 24 years now and I can remember the same dilemma

ok for installation of plants buy from wholesaler and install
    for 2.5 times wholesale cost guarantee for 30 days if they water it. if they want guaranteed for 1 year charge 3 times cost of plant wholesale

lawn cutting ther is usually a going rate in an area
    to check if you have a property that is average for the area call several pros for an estimate you can get an idea of what the going rate is

as far as other maintenance like shrub pruning charge an hourly rate I charge between 35-45 manpower hr thats a bargain compared to my mechanic/plumber etc who comes to someones house and uses his tools

good luck remember if you dont make money after overhead and taxes why bother

doug