Thread: When You Buy Can Make A Difference

When You Buy Can Make A Difference

I am fencing in our 3 acre pasture and I am also keeping track of what it costs. I took 2 extra days off this week, so over the past 5 days, I've been visiting the local Lowe's to pick up 4" x 4" x 8' PT (ACQ) lumber I'm using as posts. 'Interesting' unit prices follow.

5/21/2004 $5.97
    5/30/2004 $6.97
    6/1/2004 $6.97
    6/2/2004 $5.97

Same stack of lumber, same store. Must have received a shipment of really good posts just in time for the Memorial Day weekend. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Also posted on TBN

Re: When You Buy Can Make A Difference

I noticed something similar when we were building the house. Prices would sometimes jump between Monday and Wednesday, by anywhere from a few cents to a buck per piece. I attributed it to different people at the lumber yard doing the calculating. If Lowe's is also doing it, then it could be as you surmise, or they may be reacting to market pricing better than I expected.

Either way, lumber and especially sheet goods, have gotten real expensive lately.

Steve

Re: When You Buy Can Make A Difference

Lowe's adjusts prices daily. Each store has a staff of 3-4 to change prices and comp. shop the compeition. Out on the floor, it's common to find a few new prices on nearly every isle 2-3 times a week.