Thread: Need idea's.. mole control

Need idea\'s.. mole control

I have 2 young ash trees and several young pussy willow trees, all doing well last year... however they haven't began producing leaves yet or very little at this time... [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

The trees aren't dead yet but they aren't doing anything yet either, grrrrrrrrrrrrr

What I have noticed is a lot of mole activity (Tunnels at ground surface)... [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Do moles feed on roots and if they do... What can I used to run them off ?

I heard long ago about moth balls in the tunnels or holes... Does this work ?

Any other cost effective idea's ?

Re: Need idea\'s.. mole control

Handyman, moles feed on worms and grubs, but their tunnels can disturb roots and make it hard to water. Do a quick search on moles and you will find an excellent thread by Mossroad on mole control. Also their is a web site "moleman".
    Moles are solitary critters and you probably only have one causing you grief. The only way that works (my opinion) is trapping.

Unbelievable...!

Moss gave a great run down on how to set traps and moleman really set me straight on some mis-givens I had about moles.

Ok, so they are worm and bug eaters... then how come I have about 12 young trees (1 well established) not dead but not sprouting leaves ? I'm suspecting root damage....

Could the moles be tunneling around the roots causing air gaps around the root ball causing the trees to die ?

<font color="blue"> Could the moles be tunneling around the roots causing air gaps around the root ball causing the trees to die ?
    </font color>

Handyman that would be my guess. The tree roots are drying out and the drainage created by the runs are not allowing them to get moisture, or it could be something else entirely. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]