Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers

Re: Outdoor Wood Fired Boilers

You make a good point Pat. Something I had almost forgotten about, from my past life as a SteamFitter Apprentice, back in the late '50s. (never made it to Journyman).

We installed/repaired some clever hot water heating systems in both commercial and multi residential buildings.

Mostly they would have a water circulating pump as we discussed earlier. However one old appartment building had a single pipe, natural convection system. Not the most effiecent but very simple.

The hot water furnace, in the basement, had a major header from the top of the water tank (trying to avoid the use of the term boiler). Then there was a head/expansion tank at the highest point in the building (attic). The hot water would rise up the pipes and this hot water would enter each radiator on the vertical run, through a single connection with a therm control valve. As the water gave up it's heat to the room, this colder water went back down the same pipe to the furnace heat exchanger. Sounds like magic, but the water never really circulated, only the heat transfer up the water filled pipe. The only water movement was from expansion and contraction from the furnace to the expansion tank.

With a natural gas furnace and natural furnace draft, there was no need for any electrical power in these systems. The only complaints were from the tenants, since the heat was rather dependent on the fellow in the apt. down stairs.

Steve

"A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" Lao Tzu

I think we had one of the systems you describe in a two story with basement when I was in first and second grade. There was a coal fired unit in the basement and water pipes to radiators but no pressurized boiler.

The variety I was mentioning has been used in solar heating applications. This system is called a thermosyphon and does require some engineering to get it right but isn't rocket surgery or brain science either and has the advantage of not requiring electric power to operate. It can be used to circulate heated water through a circuit and of course doesn't care how the heat is made; solar, oil, coal, wood, magic, or whatever. It is a two pipe system not a one pipe system, one for hot water supply and one for return. One firm requirement is that the inside heat exchanger has to be higher in elevetion than the heat source heat exchanger.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Back in the old days on the farm we had a coal burning furnace that circulated hot air with no fan. Just large diameter pipes.

The wood cook stove had a cast iron water jacket in the fire box that connected to an uprite water tank to give us hot water.

Egon

Egon, Was this hot water jacket "plumbed" or just an overgrown tea kettle with a spigot? I have seen several stoves with toroidal tanks that encircle the stove pipe and provide a moderate quantity of hot water to the kitchen. Pretty handy for coffee, tea, dishwashing, and such but not too convenient for a bath except in the kitchen in a wash tub. You could leave the fill cap off and get a little humidification on those dry static electricity days but a teapot directly on the stove top worked better.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"