Thread: Fox eating cat's food

Fox eating cat\'s food

Hi, all. I live in rural Virginia and have a growing problem with a family of foxes who will not leave my cat's food alone. They have gotten pretty fearless. One walked up behind the tractor while I was off it yesterday. It was not even intimidated by my being in 4 feet away...it proceeded directly to the shed, peed on the door, and went directly to the feed bowl.

Does anyone have any idea what I could bate a live animal trap with beside cat food? I have already caught the cat six or seven times. She is a bit dense. Also, what do I do with these guys if I do catch them? Thanks. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Fox eating cat\'s food

It's marking out territory.

Can you feed the cat somewhere else?

Egon

California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills

Maybe you could just get another cat. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sorry. We have a similar problem with coyotes, except instead of eating the cat's food, they eat all the chickens and geese. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I've seen some pretty big and aggressive cats that would run good sized dogs out of their territory, usually with a few less hairs on their backs. You need a more teritorial cat!

Can't think of anything a cat wouldn't want that a fox would. If it is a frequent thing, pen or house the cat for a day or two so you can bait the fox. What to do with them? I live trap 'possum and 'coon and deport them about 5-7 miles away across a river and haven't noticed a problem with them coming back. If I thought I was trapping the same ones I'd mark them with a punch out in the ear or whatever.

What exactly is this wussie cat doing for you? maybe you should get rid of the cat and keep the fox unless you raise poultry or...

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"