Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NIght feeding seedeater (rare bird?)

NIght feeding seedeater (rare bird?)

Here is a photo of a night feeding seedeater taken while it was perching on our sunflower seed bird feeder about 7 ft above the ground. Time was actually about 9PM as the digicam didn't automatically observe daylight savings time.

I wasn't close enough to be within good flash range with the digicam but with some digital post processing (IrfanView) I think you can make it out. It seems to be a juvenile and quite fond of the black oil sunfloser seeds. I thought I saw a possible sibling leaving the scene of the crime but way out of flash range. It/they have been raiding the feeder for over a week several nights a week.

Lucky for them I reached for the camera and not the .22... I will be reworking the live trap to make it more sensitive as I fed them a couple times instead of trapping them and assumed they were too light for the sticky trigger mechanism.

They will be humanely deported across the river and to the woods.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: NIght feeding seedeater (rare bird?)

They surely look like the night seed eaters that were using the top of my camper as a resting place last summer.

Egon

Cool picture. How long did he balance on that cable?

Folks around here have been getting their feeders raided by black bear. I don't think I would recommend either a camera or a .22 for those. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve

"They will be humanely deported across the river and to the woods."

So he will join the trail of tears that all those armadillos have sojourned?

Wasn't the Boone & Crocket Grizzly downed with a mighty .22?

Egon

Steve, the feeder structure is rebar. I put about 2 ft of scrap t-post into the ground with a couple feet above ground. The part above ground has a pair of washers welded horizontally, one near the top and another near the ground with a piece of scrap steel welded horizontal an inch below it as a thrust bearing for the vertical rebar that is about 7 ft high. There is an "X" of rebar welded to the top of the vertical rebar like a turnstile. Two of the ends of the turnstile part have washers welded to them with slots cut in top to accept the hangers of bird feeders.

Last year, big coons would climb up and out on the "X" part and bend it to the ground and get the seeds. I live trapped and deported a couple of those. These burglars are younger and smaller and don't bend the thing way over.

The 'coon in the picture is near the center of the "X" and was inching out toward the seed when I shot his picture. He can stay there indefinitely. Still a pretty good high wire act.

Climbing the 1/2 inch or 5/8, whatever rebar it is, 7 ft vertically is pretty good too. I will put a collar around the vertical like is used to keep rats from going between a ship and the shore on the mooring lines and that will be that. It will probably have to be wider than they can reach to grab the edge and higher up than they can jump.

My wife doesn't begrudge them a few seeds but they take them all every time and the birds don't get any. My mom isn't happy as they also empty her hummingbird feeders (climbing and eating seeds works up a thirst!)

Although there are black bear in Oklahoma and on rare occasion in this area, we have never seen a bear or sign. Puma are on the increase though with rumors that the game management types are releasing them to control the deer that are very much overpopulated.

Here is a bear story: My Niece and her husband lived between Big Bear lake and Lake Arrowhead above Los Angeles and had lots of problems with 'coons in their trashcans so when he heard a rattling in the trash cans one envening he dashed out to run off the coons and nearly crashed into a black bear. He retreated to the house, locked the door (as if bears woild operate a door knob), and got his gun. I told him he missed an opportunity. He could have hit the doorbell on the way back into the house and shouted out, "Honey, its for you!")

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JD, I have never deported one of the little armored ones. Dispatched but not deported. I have never live trapped one either, yet, so I don't know just what its fate would be, a ride in the country or a short trip to the trash.

For those of you who think maybe I play favorites as regards my treatment of different species. Yup!

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bear have been on the increase here over the past few years, with rumors of cougars. The DNR won't admit to the cougars, until one of their biologists sees one, they just say there is something in the woods.

I've seen bear sign, (clawed trees, feces and hair,) off an on my whole life, but it was only a few years ago that I actually saw the bear. Took me a minute to realize what it was.

Steve

Same story here for the most part. Cougar aka puma aka mountain lion aka panther, aka... are reported by folks but pooh poohed by the state wildlife folks but when someone shoots one and a picture is in the local paper it is a tad harder to ignore.

There are some low key rumors that the state wildlife types on the QT are releasing them to help control the deer population. As this would not be popular in cattle country, I wouldn't think they would want to advertise it, if true.

There are infrequent sitings by me and some neighbors of bobcat, once a mother and kittens, crossing the section line to and from my property over the last several years but no confirmed sightings of Cougars in the immediate area.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dateline: SouthCentral Oklahoma, often nocturnal raiding night feeding seed eater stages daring daylight raid...

Note: Digicam does not automatically compensate for daylight savings time so actual event time is one hour later than indicated.

Note2: Lack of razor sharp focus is due in part to taking the shot through a double glazed thermal window that needs cleaning.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]