Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydro power

Hydro power

Have there been any or are there any going on now for homestead hydro power? I am in the proceed of building a weir in the stream that runs thru our property. We have about 40cfs flow but not a lot of drop. I am still researching and doing my home work.

Re: Hydro power

I've done some research.. reading.. subscribed to HomePower for a year.. didn't renew. I have even looked at building my own ram-pump as well. When I get the time I'd like to set up some hydro power on the creek that runs through my property.. plenty of flow.. not a lot of drop. The one thing about hydro.. if you have the water.. it'll be 24hrs a day.. unlike solar or wind. I did buy an old water pumping windmill.. but haven't had the time or resources to drill a new well and put it up.

The problem is storage.. battery banks cost $ and time of upkeep. One alternative I've read about is using the excess electrity to create hydrogen instead of charging a battery bank.. then when the lights go out.. you use the hydrogen to run a generator.

Here is a good site for what your looking for.
    Bob

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpowerfront.shtml
    Takes a pretty big chicken to drag home a coyote!

Ken, Please share with us the means by which all this hydrogen is stored while waiting to need it.

High head with low volume is better than high volume with low head. Either way I am envious of anyone having access to a continuoulsy runing water source.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

That is the last piece of the puzzle to make it feasible and economical..

Hydrogen can be stored in a variety of ways, each with specific advantages and disadvantages. Listed below are the different storage methods available today in addition to some techniques that are still in the research and development stage.

Metal Hydride Tanks
    Compressed Hydrogen
    Liquid Hydrogen
    Chemically Stored Hydrogen
    Carbon nanotubes
    Glass Microsphere
    Liquid Carrier Storage

I don't know if your kidding about the hydrogen part of hydro, but just in case you are, check out the file "The Hydrogen Economy", written by an esteemed and highly regarded commentator (me [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ). It is posted (without my permission) here

http://www.energyprobe.org/energypro...amp;AreaID=189

You don't have to read the whole thing. All you need to know/understand is in the first 5 pages.

You could also read 'The Hype About Hydrogen' which was, thankfully, published after my piece.

T'aint gonna happen.

I wasn't kidding.. just suggesting that there can be alternatives to storing the excess energy generated.. be it using hydrogen or another means.

Its just that hydrogen is like 10x the cost and much less efficient than just about any other storage mechanism you could find. A 1 KW hydrogen powered generator is around $10,000, and has a short life expectancy.

Generating electricity from hydrogen generated by electricity immediately would wast 50% of the power,optimistically (limited by physics), and if done on an undustrial scale, not counting the losses associated with storage (wich are something on the order of 15 to 30% optimistically.

Todays systems are even less efficient than that, especially on a small scale.

The hydrogen economy folk make loads of claims which don't stand up to analysis. In fact, they often just make stuff up.

On a small scale, batteries are probably the cheapest and most efficient was to go, despite their limitations.

Of course, one could always redirect extra power into, for example, heating water, which is cheap and hot water can be stored for a long time.

Pumping water uphill for use later in hydroelectric generation works better on a large scale than batteries if you just happen to have a conveniently located reservoir.

But really folks... HYDROGEN POWER? Come on! Hydrogen is so over. So passe! Nitrogen power is where it is at. Storing energy in nitrogen is the way to go. Higher energy density. Output is only N2 and energy. In use, nitrogen power does not mess with the relative humidity. There are a few developmental areas that need further work but I'm sure nitrogen power is just around the corner.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Don't lauch. I heard a fella on the radio talking about a car invented in France that works on compressed air. He was looking for an investor. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

As for nitrogen - it'll never fly. First, its hard to light. Second, the oil companies will control the supply, and we know what they are like! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]