Thread: Tree selection info

Tree selection info

Anybody know of any good websites about trees, in particular descriptions of the different species, mature size, preferred soil/climate, growing speed, etc.??

I've been cutting, hacking, slashing, and burning for a year now and we've finally reached the point where we're realistically discussing what we want to put back onto the property. We want to create some screens, some visual features, and some wind control - all things related to trees.

I'm hoping someone knows a good source for all the info relevant to selecting trees for different locations/purposes so my Wife and I can do some "window shopping". I have a few selections in mind, but it's nice to get additional information - afterall there may be better choices available, especially with some of the newer hybrids out there.

Thanks

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: Tree selection info

Gregg, I've used Musser Forests to purchase saplings. Their web-site is reasonably informative [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Here are a couple of sites I always refer to...not necessarily places to shop, but a wealth of info can be had. You can ask questions and get great advice.
    www.arboristsite.com
    www.forestryforum.com

Good Luck

Gregg,

I usually suggest that folks check the "outreach" programs at the closest university to see what's available. I'm sure other states have similar information, but here's the University of Missouri site that has all kinds of helpful publications on trees, fruits, vegetables, etc.

mu

For what you're asking the trees to do, as in not planting for retirement resale, I think these trees sound good. I was kind of wondering if anyone else has seen them first hand because I was looking into them for sound, wind and sight barriers. It may be another Zoysa grass thing, though.

Austrees

I've read many comments, some I think at gardenweb.com, and none were favorable. Some were "so-so". Missouri Environment and Garden comments. Trees-For-You comments. Kansas State List of Worst Trees

Thanks for the info. I thought they sounded too good to be true.