Thread: Picking brains here....

Picking brains here....

I have a John Deere 345 riding mower witha 48 inch cutting deck. It is a real PITA to drop the deck,change out 3 blades,and then re-install the deck under the mower. Anybody come up with a easier/quicker way for this operation to be done? No I don't own a crane [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Picking brains here....

I use a set of auto work ramps. Gets the whole thing up high enough to get my impact wrench underneath [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Thanks Rob....wondering if safety would be an issue with your suggestion.....but blocking up the rear wheels and setting the brake oughta cover that?

When can ya loan me yer impact wrench???? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks Rob....wondering if safety would be an issue with your suggestion.....but blocking up the rear wheels and setting the brake oughta cover that?

When can ya loan me yer impact wrench???? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

And thanks for responding!!!

Hey, no problem lm. You mentioned you didn't have a crane so I gave you my old solution to the problem. More recently, I use the FEL on my CUT as a crane to accomplish the same thing. Some safety concern but the thing isn't that high up, isn't that heavy and I generally work from the side so I'm not actually under it [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Best one I saw was the guy who installed a hydraulic cylinder to the front of the tractor. Comes changing time, he just uses the cylinder like a hydraulic jack. Has removable casters that mount on the front of his deck and he can just slide it across the floor and under the tractor.

Steve

<font color="blue">Best one I saw was the guy who installed a hydraulic cylinder to the front of the tractor. Comes changing time, he just uses the cylinder like a hydraulic jack </font color>

Sounds like someone who's day job is pit crew on an Indy car team [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Ours is a JD 455, 60" deck and when it's time to remove the blades or clean underneath I use a chain hoist attached to a 2x12 beam supporting a shed off my shop. The chain hoist isn't that expensive (don't remember the price) but it's simple and effective.

I bought a Harbor Freight hoist for 79$ and it's the best investment I've ever made.

mikell