Thread: The little fawn

The little fawn

Three years ago when we were building our home Freyja our Giant Shcnauzer chased out a little fawn. We soon discovered that it was an orphan and it stayed deep in the ravine only to come out to eat. As luck would have it the little one grew as Jane and I watched it with its distinctive white patch on its right hip.

When Siegir, Freyja's father, joined us he learned that you don’t chase the deer with the white mark because she is special. Usually the Giants will chase the other deer to the edge of the woods but not our special deer. We have all seen her this spring and last week we saw her with her new fawn. She came back to the ravine and has been straying there with her own little one.

Today was hot and the dogs were under the trailer in the shade sleeping as I worked on the lights. I looked up to see the fawn headed right at the trailer, the Giants and me.
    I ducked down and was going to try and grab their collars but to my surprise both dogs were watching the fawn but showing no interest going after it. As the three of us watched, the fawn came within a few feet of us as it sampled some of the clover at the edge of the lawn. The fawn’s mother was at the edge of the woods then cautiously crossed the open lawn watching us carefully. Neither dog moved, as she led her baby back toward the ravine. At the edge she turned and looked back at us then disappeared back into the safety of the dense woods.

After a few minutes Freyja slowly walked to where she had last seen the deer and just looked and listened. Both dogs just sat down and were staring down into the ravine. When I walked over to them, I could see the two deer at the bottom. The fawn was playing in the creek and mom was just watching us. My guess is that our special deer feels very safe in the land of the Giants.

Tim

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: The little fawn

Great story, Tim. Deer are pretty smart, and she knows that you've looked out for her!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."