Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horses outdoors only?

Re: Horses outdoors only?

cowboydoc, Thank you for the heads up on the insulated holders. I had not come across them before. They seem like they would definitely do the trick.

I'm gonna buck the trend here.

In the natural world, wild horses do not have barns. But they do protect themselves with natural shelter. Further, the herd itself due to it's size serves to protect the individuals from the elements.

Horses seem to enjoy a 40 degree day the best. No bugs, no burn, etc.

Now I've seen horses turned out continually. They did not seem like happy animals to me however.

In the hot months, we as lot of folks do, turn our mares out at dusk just after the bug waves have quieted down, and turn them back in to their stalls around 9:30 am. Occassionally, we leave em out for a few days straight due to good weather/bug conditions. They are visibly eager to go back to their quiet clean and comfy stalls after a coupla/few days continuously out in the paddock.

If you are making a decision to keep them out there for a reason, that's one thing. If you HAVE TO keep them out there because you have no barn stalls, that's entirely different. Asking a vet to float some teeth, de-thrush some frogs, have an internal exam in a lean-to in the middle of Februray might be a little optimistic.

Same for farrier chores. If you shoe or trim, doing this with frozen hooves out in a pasture during bad weather is a good way to lose a farrier.

Horses are all suseptible to 'kidney winds'. Being wet, icy-cold and blown on is bad for any horse and a lean-to or loafing shed may not always get them outta the elements, no matter which direction it's facing.

Doug

Research shows your theories to be wrong DAP. Horses live longer, have less health problems, and less behavioral problems if they are outside and on pasture. Several studies have shown the worst possible scenario for a horse is being in a stall, especially in the winter. A three sided lean-ton with a roof and open to the south is the best way to keep horses.

I'll second that. Let them free roam and seek shelter as they please. All of the folks I know that keep their horses in stalls seem to have hoof, colic and stall injuries.

My horse is allowed to free roam in a pasture with a loafing shed. He feeds on pasture and I only throw hay in late summer and winter when the forage has dried up. I give him one scoop of 12% pellets daily as a thanks, but no thanks. It just keeps him coming around when I walk out into the pasture.

Back a few years draught horses were turned loose in the field when not required for work. In winter they did not have a water supply other than snow. They had to rustle food on their own from the fields or strawpile. No sheds or any shelter other than trees. They managed quite well.

Egon

Back a few years draught horses were turned loose in the field when not required for work. In winter they did not have a water supply other than snow. They had to rustle food on their own from the fields or strawpile. No sheds or any shelter other than trees. They managed quite well.

Those horses have really come a long way. They can probably thank the ACLU and the "Horses Union". [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nope.

Different type of horse.

Egon

Rookie, I assume that these are horses you are going to ride for fun on the trails etc and, as such, will spend most of thier time in pasture. That being the case, I agree that a good 3 sided run in with a tall roof is a good way to go. Facing south is also recomended as long as you dont have any unique wind patterns that blow rain/sleat/snow in that direction. If that is the case, then you might seal off part of the front or reorient as needed.

If these are show or performance horses then you might not be able to get away with the good advice you have recieved here for keeping them in pasture. Its not unusual for performance horse events to go into Dec and start in Feb. so a barn is the way to go to keep them in "Show" condition.

We dont get nearly as cold as you will but we do have to pull ice off the tops of the water buckets. I like the idea of not having automatic waterers so we know how much they are drinking. You can find insulated buckets, heating elements and watering systems at places like Valley Vet Supply, Stateline tack, etc.

When it gets cold make sure they can get water and feed them a good bale feed that has not gotten wet. We usually feed 3 times a day such as 7am, 5pm and 10pm(keep it as consistant as possible in terms of timing, proportions and feed). The late feeding they get a light feeding of something like oat hay so they have something to munch on.

BTW....congrats on the new additions! Have fun and be safe.

Do you have to worry about coyotes at night w/ horses. We seem that have at least 5 different ones here on our land and seems like the only time I see them is when my husband is not around to take care of them... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    They have gotten a few hens and we are trying (unsucessfully) to give them lead poisoning. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    That is why we put ALL of our animals in the barns at night. We know that the coyotes usually go for the easy prey but we don't know when they easy prey is hard to find and they go for harder prey. 5 is a pack and I (before we realized what was going on [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] )watched 3 stalk the 30 plus deer that feed in the fields.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Opie, we have plenty of coyotes around here, but I've never heard of them bothering horses around here. There's plenty of small critters for them. Also, I keep a radio on either a talk station or music station that is not instrumental. The human voice is supposed to keep coyotes, wolves and foxes away. It does seem to work, before I hung the radio on my hen house, I always had foxes and coyotes hanging around, looking for an easy meal. Now they keep their distance. So...if you're worried about coyotes, keep a radio on that can be heard in your pasture.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."