Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun values online

gun values online

Can anyone steer me to a site that gives gun prices online. Not new gun prices , not antique eather, just plane ol whats it worth , how long was it made type of place? All I can find are places to buy books. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I have a mod. 30 J.C. Higgins 22 cal. rifle without a ser. no. I would like to check up on. Or find where the ser. no, is.? Thanks to all.

Re: gun values online

I don't know what it's worth, but I'll bet you'd like this site and you can look up a .pdf manual for that gun. I noticed one place on the Internet offering a model 31 for $125.

Thank you sir! Dang sure had a manual for it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] And a few others I needed.

Thanks ranchman. 46-62 cool! I didn't have any luck finding the store brand crossover section thow ." 583.70" Is the only no. on gun anywhere I can see. Any clue what it means? Thanks for the link.

That corresponds to a model number, however, according to this source, that model number is tied to a 20ga shotgun marketed under the J.C. Higgins name (sold by Sears) and manufactured by High Standard and not a .22 rifle.

Something is screwy here - either in the numbers on the gun or the numbers in the tables. (the table cited is the same as the Blue Book Store Brand Cross-Over List cited in the earlier link.)

Now in the table, there is a "Sears" brand model "30" that is a .22 pump which was also manufactured by High Standard. One hypothesis is that some of the parts between the 20ga and the .22 were interchangeable/reusable and perhaps some of those parts made their way to the .22 from the 20ga at the factory during production. I can't imagine a lot of these parts being transferable, but I could see a few here and there possibly. It's just a thought, but it would explain how your gun would have the "J.C. Higgins" name & the "583.70" model number but yet be a .22 and not a 20ga.

Well, beats me. Its marked J.C.Higgins model 30 U.S pat. pending. Under that Sears roebuck co. 583.70 On the left side.On the Right side the only markings are 22 long rifle only. It is a tube fed semi auto 22. With a retractable sling in the stock "red" A neet little plinker fer sure. I would have traded most all I had to have one like it when I was A kid. I like these ol pawn shop 22's [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Cheep ta shoot,Cheep ta buy and you can always trade em for something to somebody.Thanks for your help , have a good one.

These are in fact made for and sold by sears. I have two.
    One is a semi auto 22 and one is a 22 bolt action.

The bolt action belonged to my father, and I picked up the semi at an auction.

The serial number should be on the barrel if memory serves. Is it rusty? Maybe its there and coroded away?

The bad news is that these are not common and spare parts may be hard. Also they are not exactly a ruger 10 22 in the acuracy department.
    I only picked up the auto since it was the twin of the bolt which I have sentimental attachment to.
    Also it was a auction for a lady who had just lost her husband and this belonged to him, so I looked at it as charity in a way.
    Probably paid more than it was worth, which I fear is ~$0.

But of course that is the nature of an auction. If you are the high bider then you just paid more than any one else thougt it was worth....

I bieleve that most are circa 1950.

Fred

Sorry it took soo long too thank you for your help . I never did find a ser. no. on that crazy thing. I refinished the wood and shined it up good and give it to my brother in ALA. This one shoot fine and was rust free. Darn shame they realy aren't worth much at all. Of course I told bubba it was very unique and worth a toad sack full of money [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] He agreed that he owed me big time. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks again.

I also have a JC Higgins model 30. No serial number either.
    There was a time that many many firearms did NOT have serial numbers and this must be one of them.

Bob
    I was taught to respect my elders but it's getting harder to find any!