Thread: Disable the Control Cut feature Sears radial arm?

Disable the Control Cut feature Sears radial arm?

While performing a miter cut the sanding drum damagerd the power cable to the contol cut feature on my sears radial arm. I repaired the cord but the control cut motor no longer works. I have figured out how to get the covers off around the motor but not how to get into the motor itself to see if I can see the problem. What I would like to do is DISABLE the feature - either by figuring out how to disconnect the cable or any other way that anyone may know. The sears manual that comes wit the saw is no help. Any ideas on how to do this or how to get a more in depth manual?

Re: Disable the Control Cut feature Sears radial arm?

I doubt that you will find a manual that tells you how to disable a "feature" on a saw...especially if it is supposed to be a safety feature. I don't have that saw so can't be of much help (sorry), but I'm kind of thinking that you should try and figure out how to fix the problem and bring the saw back to "factory specs". That is an issue that Sears will help you with but to make home modifications they won't touch it, I'm certain.

Re: Disable the Control Cut feature Sears radial a

If the cable didn't get seriously pulled on by the mishap then all damage should have been restricted to the cable cut. Was there sparks etc? I have a Sears RAS but mine is really old and doesn't have that feature so I am not at all familiar with it.

From the incident report I don't see how there would be damage inside the motor cover but at any rate agree that Sears will not offer help in any form to modify the saw, especially if it relates to safety.

Don't know how well built the new ones are but I am at least the 5th owner of my "old timer" and it does very well, attachments included, although the dust collection could stand improvement.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"