Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best on the rough road?

Best on the rough road?

The ground rules for replying include not just to state your favorite manufacturer. Everyone has a favorite make, myself included.
    This question is specifically this: Is there a make and/or model that would do best on rough, gravel roads? Short of buying a Baja racer, which vehicles would hold up better on the bumpy roads I have to travel? (My old Buick has taken quite a beating, but then, it was never really intended for this. We lovingly refer to it as the "off-Roadmaster".)
    Do some manufacturers put their vehicles together with more lock washers? (The other day I went to close the door on the Roadmonster and the handle come off in my hand. Next it might be the engine falling out.)
    I need to start looking for a replacement. SUV? Pick up? Living in the country means considering the repair facilities available also, so a Mog is not on the short list. Your input is welcomed.

Re: Best on the rough road?

Trucks are made with more heavy duty parts and designed to be used in harsher environments than cars. Many SUV's are based off of truck chassis, hence, they retain much of higher duty parts. Trucks, however, generally have a harsher ride than cars (all things being equal). Yes, a Lincoln will "feel nicer" going down that country road, but the truck/truck based SUV has the advantage when it comes to longevity.

That being said, any vehicle that runs down a washboard gravel road every day is more likely to develop squeaks and problems than one only driven on pavement.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I think what you need is an off road designed 4wd pick-up. I have a Chevy Silverado with the offroad 4wd package (Z74?). We've had it for four years and use it on the dirt roads between our farm and our neighbors as well as normal country road and higway driving. We drive it on our hay fields and pastures often too. We give it a good beating, and we've never had a problem with it.

I'm partial to Chevy and GMC, but I'm willing to bet that a Ford or Dodge pick-up designed for off road use would serve you just as well. The point is, you need the off road package and not just 4wd. The suspension, and probably a lot of other stuff is different.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

well since i have no allegience to any any manufaturer, i would look at something that has an independent rear suspension for a more comfortable ride. that said i think everyone is correct that something with an off road package would be best. i love my new 2500 hd. i have been putting it to work on and off road.

If you do not have a particular need for a pick-up truck or an SUV, I would suggest a Subaru Outback wagon. I do not own one, but my grandmother does and I have driven it a few times. The only "off-road" driving I have done with it is up her curvy, hilly, pitted dirt/gravel 1/4 mile long driveway. It is quite smooth.

They are all-wheel drive, have good ground clearance and get about 23 MPG, I believe.

I'll second that vote. We have an Outback. Takes a beating on our dirt roads, mud season, heavy rain and snow and ice. Still handling like a champ with 80k+ miles. No missing body parts and very little rust. The stainless exhaust system is a plus.

My neighbor has a Chevy Silverado Z-71 and I'm reinstalling body parts for her on a fairly regular basis. Fog light last month and her tailgate latch tonight. Truck is solid, but small stuff is working loose. My Dodge Dakota is okay so far, but with less than 10k on it it's hardly showing wear yet. And neither truck handles the washboard stuff as well as the Subaru.

Pete

Thanks for all the input. We had also stumbled upon the Subaru, both Outback and Forester. With the postive response here, we may have to check them out a little closer. Do they make them with a 3 PH? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I'll also state that the Subaru is a fine vehicle. My wife and I are on number 4. An 81 wagon, 86 four door, 90 wagon and a 94 wagon.

It's not an off road vehicle, but does a good job with the mentioned all wheel drive. And not too expensive either.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Based on my experiences in the repair end of things I can also give the Subaru high marks. If your needs are more for a car, and less for a truck, and you have a competent dealer nearby, you can't go too far wrong.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Another vote for the subaru. Only thing to consider. Tall people don't fit in em. I had one of the first ones that came out and I barely fit. I test drove one a few years ago and don't fit any more. Either that or I am less forgiving of having my head smooshed up against the roof than I used to be.

The subaru is sold as an "all road vehicle" and it does a good job of that. The optional pan protector is a good investiment if you are going to drive on gravel roads. A stock subaru lacks the ground clearance to be a good "off road" vehicle, but as an "all road vehicle", it is very good.

Other "all road vehicles" are offered by volvo and mercedes.