Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: budget sewer line for workshop

budget sewer line for workshop

I'd like to install a sink and a urinal in my workshop. It's too far from the septic tank and putting in a new septic system would be cost prohibitive.

The shop is maybe 40 feet from a little dry creek and I thought about running a line to the creek and calling it good. FWIW, I'm already using the creek for bathroom breaks as it is! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

But I thought that instead of running the sewer line to the creek, how about putting in a run of porous pipe in a gravel field or something similar and keep the whole thing underground. Sort of like one leg of a septic field?

This would be for liquids only and wouldn't get much use.

Anybody done something similar?

I'm only vaguely familiar with septic systems and how the field lines are set up. Any pointers???

TIA.

Re: budget sewer line for workshop

If you get caught doing that not only will you pay for the cost of ten septic tanks in fines but you also face jail time as well. I would not recommend doing it. You are not only polluting your water but all of the water downstream.

In most states for any kind of a septic system you have to have a county permit. Find out what your county requires and do that or face the consequences if you get caught putting in your own without a permit.

You might want to consider resale too. That is the kind of weird thing that can cause lots of problems when you try to sell.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You are not only polluting your water but all of the water downstream.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure that I understand.

Me, my dogs, horses other animals are whizzing all over my property and with the possible (but not likely) exception of me, nothing is going to change that.

Unless all of mother natures filtration takes place only in the first two feet of earth, I do not see how "discharging" minute quantities of urine two feet under the ground will polute my wells or those "downstream" (there has only been water in that creek three times in the last ten years and in each of those times the creek went dry in a few days!).

I guess I'm more of a hick than I thought. I use natures urinal almost exclusively. When I'm hot, dirty and tired, the last thing I want to do is to hike up to the house from the shop. So I don't.

My neighbor agrees with this logic and recently put a "urinal" in his shop. It's made from a big honkin funnel, a bucket with the bottom cut out, some caulk, a hole in the wall and a rubber hose. And it's extremely convenient!!! He's even thinking about adding a tee in the water line to a nearby swamp cooler so he can open a little ball valve to "flush". Man, that will be the cat's meow.

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

OK, I have to admit. I don't always whiz on the ground outside.

Sometimes I use the shower drain.

Things change. In the past, it was an acceptable practice to dump all sorts of things into landfills. Now we find rocket fuel in our milk. We all need to do our part to minimize pollution. A septic system is much better than allowing anything to run directly into the creek. If professionally designed, one of the considerations will be the distance from the end of the leach field to any open water. This is to prevent untreated waste from getting out.
    With that said, Melonhead, we aren't getting after you- just making some positive encouragement to do what's best for you, your neighbors, and the folks who will be here when we are gone. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Laughing my A$$ off Shower drain!!!! does a bear $__t in the woods? sorry for my cander but this hit me straight in the funny bone, My mom once taught her cat to p in the toilet not the shower drain.

Keep cool. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Don't get too excited and miss CowboyDoc's point. I don't see that he is talking about 'whizing' outside. Seems he is talking about your pipe to the dry creek.
    Seems some post a question and then don't like to hear any other answers, but their own. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] We don't have your actual situation in mind, but can only go by the heading of the thread, and what you initially tell us.
    I thought CowboyDoc's response was informative, and not critical of your whizing wherever you want. Just don't run a sewer line into a creek.
    I think your neighbor has a good idea. Are you just trying to 'one-up' the neighbor? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies fellas. It's been good for a chortle if nothing else.

To level set you guys RE my expectations, I have attached a picture of my friends home grown urinal. The "Men"s sign was a nice touch.

The puzzler for me is that I don't believe that anybody would find it an offense to nature for me to do my business in my DRY creek or to wash my hands using a gargen hose in the same creek. But to run an underground pipe to the same location and do the same activities from the privacy of my shop is a Bad Thing. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Perhaps I should mention that I am located in the Texas panhandle. Our annual rainfall puts us close to a desert climate. Surface water doesn't last long here.

Also, my note suggested that I would actually _prefer_ to not run the pipe to the creek and instead just set up a lateral line of sorts underground.

Oh well, FWIW, I did a little Google'ing and found
    the home made urinal drain specs I was looking for!

From the Manual of Naval Preventive Medicine:

Chapter 9: Preventive Medicine for Ground Forces: Section IV. Waste Disposal Methods in the Field

Subsection 9-27. Disposal of Human Waste.

f. Urine soakage pit. This temporary latrine is most effectively used in sandy soils. It is dug 4 feet square by 4 feet deep. The pit is filled to within 6 inches of ground level with any of the following materials, large rocks, flattened tin cans, broken bottles, rubble, bricks or other suitable contact material. Ventilation shafts will be inserted into the pit to within 6 inches of the bottom. The shafts will extend 6 to 12 inches above ground level. This allows air to circulate through the pit and lessens odors. Six urine tubes, made of 1 inch by 36 inch pipe, are then inserted into the pit. The tubes are inserted, at a slight angle, about 8 inches below ground level, which leaves about 26 inches above ground level. A screened funnel, made of moisture proof material, is placed in the top of the tube. Oil soaked burlap is then spread over the pit and covered with 6 inches of compacted earth. One pipe will accommodate 20 men, figure 9-13.

OK, let's see... If the urine soakage pit described above will acommodate 20 men who will use it (I assume) regularly, I guess for just me, using only occasionally...let's see...36inches divided by 20...26inches divided by the square root of pipe diameter multiplied the natural log of.....YES: A hole a foot or so deep with a bucketfull of gravel should work nicely.

Perfect.

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Looks like you are on a roll now. That is good. I don't mind you doing what you want to do. In that panhandle area, save all the moisture you can. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

FWIW, yesterday I had a honey dipper come out and pump my septic tank. He also does septic installs and was familiar with the rules and regs for septic-related stuff. I asked him about my "sewer" options for a remote work shop.

He said that regulations have actually been relaxed in one area - it is now OK to discharge gray water on top of the ground, or in a shallow gravel field. So for instance, it would be fine to put a wash sink in the shop and drain it wherever, with no septic necessary.

So I may go that route.

And, hey, if I put in a second, smaller sink, kinda like this one, and mount it kinda low, that would be OK too! Hey, it's just a sink! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]