Thread: How long for new horses to settle down?

How long for new horses to settle down?

Hey, folks, I'm back for more expert opinions! Our two new horses, 3-year-old geldings, came home four days ago. These are the only horses here, and they were born and raised together. Where we got them, they were living in the pasture in a herd of about 20-30 horses, mostly young, 2 and 3 year olds, and some brood mares. Here is my question: Since they've been at our place, they are in a pasture of about 3-1/2 acres, full of good timothy grass. However, they seem unwilling to approach the water trough to drink. For a couple of days we were hauling water out to them in buckets.
    The last two days it has been raining, so we haven't been quite as concerned. We tried moving the trough further from the barn and the fence. We also got them a brand new Rubbermaid 100 gallon trough, which they should be used to from the breeder where they used to live. How worried should we be? Any ideas on what else we can try? Thanks so much!
    Rookie

Re: How long for new horses to settle down?

SoOunds to me like 'they' need to sort some things out themselves. If they were with all those other animals and weren't the Alpha, then they will have to establish one or the other.

My theory is that until that happens they may be a bit funny about water and feed. Just a theory. If they refuse to drink AT ALL, then I think a call to a good equine vet is in order.

I suspect they'll sort it out in a few weeks.

Keep us posted.
    Doug

Doug is right on all counts. Horses dearly love their pecking order and its not uncommon for them to get pretty excited about a new home and determining who is the new "boss".

You dont say if the waterer is automatic or not. If it is not, you have a really good gauge of how much they are drinking. If it is automatic, then you may not see them drink though they are.

It does not take much for them to colic so watch them. It's nice they have room to roam at your place.

Guys there are no OTHER horse there! There's no pecking order to establish. It is only these two horse who have already been together before they came to this place.

Usually when horse go to a new place they do not like the water. It takes a few days before they will get used to the water in a new place. Try putting some cherry extract in the water. That will usually help them get used to a new water supply.

Sorry, I couldn't resist... Apparently you can lead a horse to water but...

Cherry extract.. There is a great idea. I shoulid get some for when I go places that have really bad tasting water.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"