Thread: Pine Tree Question

Pine Tree Question

I've got several mature pine trees in my backyard that are starting to exhibit signs of needle loss on branches extending out on ONE SIDE only (one area too). The rest of the tree is healthy - I can't figure out if something is eating the needles (it's primarily only the new growth that has dissappeared and the needles are gone down to the branch itself). Is it possible that deer are eating them? I don't think it's a water (we've had enough rain here) problem - any ideas?

Thanks!

-Bob

Re: Pine Tree Question

What kind of pine?

Where do you live?

Picture?

Also, how far up the tree is the needle loss? Are they laying on the ground? What direction is the bare side facing, ie north? Inquiring minds want to know.

I live in Minnesota and these are spruce trees. The needle loss is on the SW side - and only on that side. I will take a picture and attach it later this evening.

The needles are not on the ground either - that's what has me believing this is being done by deer or something. I don't live far enough north for Porcupines or anything so it isn't something like that.

Thanks for the reply!

-Bob

Ok. Here are some pictures of the trees. I did check again tonite and there doesn't seem to be more needles being lost - but I can knock the discolored one's loose (you'll see in the pictures).

Here is a picture of one of the trees (there are 3 total where it is different stages of occuring - and they are not completely together as there are undamaged trees between them).

This picture is taken from the SW side of the tree.

This is a close-up of the needles themselves on the tree.

More information -

Last year we moved about 12 trees that were in the same line as these - the gaps between them - and they are now in front of the house. These trees are not showing these problems.

I'd really like to hear what people think - I did fertilize these with tree stakes earlier in the year, but that shouldn't cause this problem. The rest of the tree (the other sides) are healthy from what I can tell.

Thanks for your help - I can get more pictures if you deem it necessary, too.

-Bob

Looks like Winter Injury. It is telling that only the Southwest side is affected. This is the side that is the warmest in the afternoon, followed by cold nights. If these trees were transplanted, it would place them at higher risk since their root structure would be affected.

There are some fungal diseases that can cause partial loss of branches, but that usually had a more global distribution on the tree, starting from the bottom.

For more information, see Needle Drop on Spruce

Doc -

Thanks for the feedback - I will look at these websites right away. As far as transplant, these were not the one's moved so they have been there all along. Do you suggest I prune the bad branch areas anytime soon?

-Bob