Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corner posts for field fence

Re: Corner posts for field fence

I recently put up some high-tensile fence and installed a 16' gate. I have H-braces on each side, for that is where I am pulling for each side of the fence.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I know that this is an old forum but here is my 2 bits worth: Two 8 foot gates are better than one 16 footer - less pressure on your posts - H braced.

The kind you buy for high-tensile fencing. These are of course CCA pressure treated. Don't use cement, for that will cause the posts to rot alot faster.

How come they rot faster with concrete ? I built my pole barn with treated posts set in concrete,my wrap around porch is built on 6"x 6" treated set in concrete? Did I do wrong here ? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> How come they rot faster with concrete ? </font color>

Concrete will rot the post faster for two reasons:

1. The lime in the concrete will eat away at the wood.
    2. The concrete creates a nice pocket for rain water, and the post will just sit in constant contact with moisture, causing it to rot sooner.

All wood posts will rot eventually, but when it's time to replace the posts, the ones without concrete will be alot easier to replace.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

A trick I learned to help keep the gate from sagging is to put an extra bolt (used to hang the gate) at the bottom of the opposite post. You can set the gate on top of this when it's closed as the bottom of most gates are hollow.

<font color="blue">A trick I learned to help keep the gate from sagging is to put an extra bolt (used to hang the gate) at the bottom of the opposite post. You can set the gate on top of this when it's closed as the bottom of most gates are hollow.
    </font color>

Excellent advice flponygirl. I use a variation of your idea at my gates. At the bottom of the post(if wood), I often pound a short scrap of PT wood vertically in the ground a few inches and nail it to the gate post. I can then lift the gate a little when closing to set on the support. A small concrete block works well, even a rock if you are blessed with rocks. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

TK