Thread: Best way to insulate a pole barn??

Best way to insulate a pole barn??

I have a typical 30 x 40 pole barn with a shingle roof. We are located in Northern Michigan with winter temps typically from 0 to 25 degrees, although they sometimes dip to -20.

There are apparently a huge number of ways to insulate these structures, but I have yet to see a consensus [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] on the best way, or at least a preferred way. Maybe there isn't one, but I would like to here what worked or didn't work for people.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Best way to insulate a pole barn??

What do you use the barn for? What's your budget?
    Do you want to trap passive heat or contain heat you provide?

I plan on using a portion, maybe 16 x 30, of the barn for a woodshop (it will probably be walled off from the rest). The remainder wiill be a general purpose shop, used for things such as storage, working on equipment and a place for a workbench.

My intent was to use propane and\or wood heat in the shop. The building is very sheltered and shaded - I'm not sure how well a passive system would work.

Then one of your initial issues will be maintaining reasonable range of humidity. Since the area you plan to use for the workshop is not that large I would insulate the walls with at least an r-19 fiberglass with vapor barrier. One propane heater would handle the area well and could be set to come on when the temp drops below 50degrees. You might also consider a floor covering on top of the concrete and exterior insulation on the slab. Basically, it's just like building a house.

Without some humidity and temperature management your wood will be difficult to size for any prolonged project.

If you can afford it, have it foamed. I sectioned off a 18x30 area to work on cars but since I was installing a furnace and spend a lot of time in the barn I wanted efficiency in keeping the heat in for the winter (Michigan). I ran across a guy who works for Foam-Seal in Lapeer,MI. He insulates houses and barns on the side using spayed foam. The foam and company have been around a long time and there are no formaldehydes or other harmful chemicals in the foam. One inch of this foam gives you about R-6 value. I had him do the walls and also the ceiling directly applied to the roof sheating (3" thick foam). This past winter when the temps started staying cold around Dec, I left my furnace on 24 hrs a day and set the T/stat at 40 degress when I was not in the barn. When I'm working I set it at about 60-64 degrees, I am in there maybe 8-10 hrs per week during the winter and my son is also using it one or two days a week. I used less than 150 gal of propane for the entire winter. The foam is airtight and keeps out any type of drafts or moisture. I have a insulated 10' rollup door and a side entrance door. The entrance door is not energy efficient but I am happy with the foam. Foam costs about 30% more then batt insulation but the difference in heat retention and it also makes things quieter in the barn was worth it to me. Plus I didn't have to spend a lot of hours insulating and itching and building a ceiling.