Thread: Heads Up Western PA

Heads Up Western PA

I wasn't really sure if this should be here or Pets, as it could affect your pet, but anyway....

I had a worker in conjunction with the Erie County Dept of Health stop by my place yesterday and drop off a notice for my bulletin board. Federal, state and county agencies got together and are going to be trying to orally administer the rabies vaccine to wild animals, more specifically racoons. They are placing the vaccine in fish meal blocks and tossing them out of aircraft and also vehicles driving down the road. They are "aiming" for ditches, culverts and the likely areas a coon would be, but for those of us in the country these could end up in our lawn, fields and places our pets, livestock and children could be.
    They are safe... however, they could make your pets sick if eaten and we are not supposed to come in contact with a pets saliva that may have eaten one. We are also not supposed to touch them with bare hands. So that is how "safe" they are.

I think this is overall a good idea, but I'm not to thrilled about the popssible side effects. Rabies does appear to be spreading and there was a rabid bat found in a house in Clarion County being munched on by the family dog just a few days ago.

If anyone is interested, I could try to scan the notice (something I haven't done in a while) and post it.

Re: Heads Up Western PA

Fred
    I just looked it up on their site, and here is what they say about it.

baiting

Re: Heads Up Western PA

Yep, that's exactly what they say about it. I still don't like it.
    Good idea but too many variables.