Thread: Trapping weasels and/or foxes

Trapping weasels and/or foxes

Anyone have any suggestions on how to bait for a fox or weasel? I tried using dry cat food for starters, now I am using raw hamburger and hot dogs, and I've moved the trap a couple times... but am haven't had any takers yet. I think I just need something that will lure it in.

I'm not sure if I am after some kind of weasel or a fox. Whatever it is, it is extremely bold in taking full grown chickens in no time at all right by the house so I don't think it is scared of the trap. It can also run away from a German Shepard while carrying a full grown chicken. I've never actually seen it but I have seen some weasel looking foot prints and found a dead fox in the barn so those are my main suspects right now.

Re: Trapping weasels and/or foxes

It could be a racoon or a possum. Try some peanut butter and jelly. Racoons will go for the sugar.

zuiko, I think a weasel would kill more than a single chicken on a visit. I would suggest a coyote perhaps a fox.

I used to trap a little when I was a kid and I know how hard it can be to trap a fox. I agree with you that if it is a fox it is not afraid of the trap, as he knows right where it is. He can smell it and you all over it. You must first de- smell (is that a word?) or de sent the trap. It needs to be boiled in creek, pond or other natural water source from your area. It can also be buried in a mucky place at a pond or creek edge for several weeks, this will not only de sent the trap but remove the rust and turn it black. Oil should not be used on the trap at any time, as the fox can smell this for months after it appears gone to you. You must have a sent free trap if you are going to trap a fox or coyote.

Once you have a clean trap do not touch it with your bare hands use rubber gloves and try not to leave any sent of any kind at the set.

You may not be able to use this set but I always was able to catch a fox using the following method.

Find where the fox is entering the field (yard) a grassy weed grown field is the best with small trees growing randomly in the field. Mound up a pile of dirt two or three feet high; make it plenty big, four or five feet across. Dig a small hole in the top of the mound and set the trap and stake it well. The trap should be covered with a piece of wax paper and dirt carefully sifted over the trap so that all looks natural. Now here comes the fun part, find a road killed house cat. Tie the dead cat in a tree about 6 feet off the ground and 30 or 40 feet from the mound, but where it can be seen from your mound. Then leave the field trying not to leave any of your sent along the way.

The fox will come out in the field see and smell the cat and know something is wrong. If you set the trap in the winter you will see where he will circle the cat two or three time and finally climb up on your mound to study the situation. SNAP you have your fox. Caught dozens of fox this way and kept the dead cats off the roads around where my folks lived. It may not work in your yard but if you live in the country and your yard backs up to a weed-grown field and if you culprit is a fox this will catch him.

Good luck