Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Using Hardy Plank

Re: Anyone Using Hardy Plank

This final attachment shows a completed outdoor kitchen. While not strictly related to the HardiPlank lap siding, I think these give some idea of how great the stuff is. Properly applied and painted, it's warrantied for 50 years.
    ...Don

Sorry, mysticokra, I did not make myself clear. I think my Hardie project took 6 coats of paint because we had it thinned a lot for the spray rig we used. (It was one of those homeowner-level units, and has since been replaced by a semi-pro unit.) No, the paint had no problem sticking, in fact (if anything) it soaked in and became a part of the panel. Don is absolutely correct about the fact of how well it adheres.
    All said, I liked the Hardie products so much, our house being built is an all Hardie exterior. (See: "Are we going to survive this?", in the Home Building topic area.)
    Of course, in the future someone is going to come out with evidence that the cement-fibre siding products cause cancer. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

donh,

Thanks for taking the time for such an extensive explanation.

Do you think a 15/32 underlayment of plywood screwed to the clapboard siding would be flat enough to attach the Hardiplank? Could I put the Tyvek on top of that before attaching the plank or would it be better under the plywood?

I would ask that question of Hardie. I had a simular problem with my shop due to the hex heads on the screws used to attach the "green" board to the studs. Hardie replied very quickly and reccomended that I cross nail to pull the plank in where it had these spaces between the planks. It worked ... but I would still ask them ... they have several plants and offices here in the USA.
    USA / CANADA
    26300 La Alameda, Suite 250
    Mission Viejo, California 92691
    Tel: 1-888-JHARDIE
    Email: info@JamesHardie.com

I seem to remember hearing they were the most used siding in the US.
    Leo

Good info - I've been considering Hardipanel to re-skin my shed/shop (no animials) when I get 'rountuit. Among all it's other implied qualities, around here, given what's happened to building material costs in the last year or so - it now seems to be one of if not just about the least expensive siding solution there is.

Don, rather than buy those expensive shears you mentioned, I saw some in Home Depot that were made by Porter Cable for $199. I bought them and have cut a bunch of Hardie Plank with them.

I talked to one of the managers at Home Depot that works in the contractor section. At the time he had never had a set returned to him, so I took a chance on them. One of the best decisions I ever made. Using the shears is so much better than trying to cut with a circular saw and a blade.

I used some 2 x 12 scraps to make a jig that would ensure square end cuts. This jig helped a lot because at first it was difficult for me to follow the line on an end cut.

I'm sure your shears are better for a contractor but for those of us who are going to side a barn or some small projects, I recommend the much less expensive Porter Cable shears.

Changing the subject for a minute, we had a rep from James Hardie talk to our local home inspector association. He stated Hardie Plank must be painted within 6 months of installation to be warranted. He also recommended not even trying to caulk the joints where the board ends meet in the field. He said to caulk where the ends meet the corner trim but to forget about caulking the joints in the field.

He also said if you buy any that has not been primed, to be sure and prime all 6 sides (he also said they were going to stop selling material that had not been primed).

Bob

Hey Mysticokra, my daughter and soninlaw bought a farm house with hardiplank and their home owners insurance covers it the same as steel siding.

Bob - was the rep suggesting that it's better not to caulk the ends or that it just wasn't particularly necessary?

A steel siding rating my help my worst case fire rating.
    Thanks for the info.

<font color="blue"> Don, rather than buy those expensive shears you mentioned, I saw some in Home Depot that were made by Porter Cable for $199.</font color>

Yes, I have seen the Porter Cable shears on EBay, and wish I had seen them first. However, none of my local stores carried them at the time. Now, of course, I don't need any more, so I haven't tried them. Nice to see a good report. I like my other Porter Cable tools.
    ...Don