Thread: grading project & contractors

grading project & contractors

Several months ago, I posted an inquiry about working with a contractor to do some ditch work adjacent to a town road here in Chautauqua County, NY. The project has changed somewhat and now consists mostly of adding a few crossdrains to, and regrading (maybe with some additional surfacing) my ~350 foot driveway. Also, my contractor suggested trenching in some 4" perf pipe and covering same with washed gravel, geofabric, and fill to provide a more long-term solution to some drainage issues.

My questions deal with homeowner precautions and any requirements that the State or County might have regarding this type of work. Is the typical contract for flat rate or hourly or is there no such thing as "typical"? I've checked with the Town and they have no permitting or other requirement. At the County or State Level, are contractors REQUIRED to be licensed or insured? I'm aware of the "One Call NY" requirement to alert utility companies, but are there any other things I should be aware of?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: grading project & contractors

Jobs can go by the hour or a completed price. Specifications may be required for a completed price contract as the contractor just meets what you have specified by his own or contract terms. On an hourly basis you can direct the contractor as the job progresses.

Licensing may be a local requirement. Insurance and workman's compensation should be a must as you are liable for any damage if the contractor does not have this.

Make sure all your local requirements are met.

Egon

Re: grading project & contractors

I don't know your local regs, but contractors are supposed to be licensed and insured around here. That doesn't mean that they are, though. A lot of work gets done "under the radar", but I don't recommend it.

Pricing for jobs can be handled in all sorts of different ways. My advice is to set a fixed figure for the job, making *sure* that you put *everything* that is supposed to be done *in writing*. Hourly work has a tendancy to take more hours than originally estimated, and once begun a job like yours really does need to be finished so it is difficult to avoid throwing good money after bad. But whatever you do, get an agreement *in writing*, have both parties sign and make copies. Do try to avoid some scribbled document on a legal pad - type something out on your computer if nothing else.

And definately follow Egon's advice on this one:

<font color="blue"> Insurance and workman's compensation should be a must as you are liable for any damage if the contractor does not have this. </font color>

If anything goes wrong or someone gets hurt then someone will be held liable, and if the contractor isn't covered they'll come after you.