Thread: GFCI breaker or outlet

GFCI breaker or outlet

I am remodeling a bathroom and am going to add a light in the shower. I will use a wet location recessed light. Current code requires this be on a GFCI breaker. However, the breaker serving this circuit is a half size GE. I haven't seen a half size GFCI breaker at the box stores. That certainly doesn't mean one isn't available but I haven't looked further yet. I can replace a receptacle currently in the circuit with a GFCI receptacle and protect all of the lights/heater in bathroom including the shower light in that way. Would this be an acceptable method? I feel like it would protect me but is it in the spirit of the code.

My other options would be to 1) find a similiar load on one of the full size breakers and swap this circuit to a full size breaker and then replace that with a GFCI breaker. I do have a few full size breakers. There are no empty spaces in the panel.

This is in a 100 GE amp panel with 20amp breakers, about a 1983 model.

Thanks

Gary

Re: GFCI breaker or outlet

Chillimau,
    You do NOT have to put it on a GFCI protected circuit if you don't want to. Provided you have the proper trim on it, toally enclosed (with a lens) and made of plastic.
    To the best of my knowledge GE does not make a "half size" GFI breaker. By all means use the inline outlet to protect it, nothing wrong with that arrangement, code-wise.

Re: GFCI breaker or outlet

Inspector,

Thank you very much for the information! I was hoping you would respond.

For some reason I was thinking both receptacles and lights had to be GFCI protected. Glad I'm wrong. I didn't really want to buy a GFI breaker @ 37.50. I will get a GFCI receptacle for the outlet and protect it in that way. Will make me feel better.

Thank you again for the information. I will go back and reread to understand what I misunderstood.

Gary