Thread: Wide screen topics

Wide screen topics

Why is it that some threads end up on a wide screen format that requires me to scroll back and forth to read the thread. I have noticed that sometimes somebody will have entered a picture on the thread as opposed to an attachment which screws it up. If it's a monitor size thing could something be done to hold everyone to a certain size? Most of the time I'll just exit a post no matter how interesting because of the hassle of moving left and right all the way down the thread.

Re: Wide screen topics

Notify the moderator (the 3rd icon at the end of each post) when someone posts a photo WIDER than the table.

Users should attach, or link to photos instead of posting them inline anyway -- those with dialup connections are FORCED to wait for those pictures intead of giving them an option to look at it.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Dittos to what Dave said. People should;

1. Use 640 x 480 for attachments
    2. Almost never post inline pictures
    3. If the urge to post an inline picture becomes too great, never use the Image feature to link to a picture that's larger than 640 x 480.

As you noted, it causes many people to have to scroll left and right which kinda defeats the purpose of posting a picture, i.e., make it easy to see something.

As Dave mentioned, there are still many people who connect via dialup and having to download an inline picture to read a thread is a bit inconsiderate. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Many people still use dial up???? Boy, Mike that's an understatement!!! Where I live that's all that's available, as this is a very rural area. Being that this is COUNTRYbynet, I'll bet many members are in the same situation as I am!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Software development has a similar problem. Software developers usually have the newest and fastest PCs so they can crank code out faster. Problem is, some of them never test their code on the types (speed, memory, etc.) of PCs a typical user has access to. So, they think their application is the greatest thing since sliced bread while the poor end user hates it. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

High Speed Satellite

High Speed Satellite is available from www.direcway.com

I am in the sticks, in between mountain ridges. No Cable, DSL, etc. My internet download speed is about 1MPS and the uplink is around 100K. This works well for browsing, but is a little slow for my wifes VPN work. Nevertheless, it does work and costs about $100/month.

Satellite TV comes on a separate dish.