Thread: Using Simpson Post Bases for a pole shed.

Using Simpson Post Bases for a pole shed.

I am looking at making a 24'x32' pole shed and was considering using Sonotubes as my post footings with a J-bolt set in the concrete. Then using the bolt on post base (6"x6") to anchor the post. I realize that I will likely need some diagonal bracing to tighten everything up. Is this a resonable idea? Would if provide enough strength to hold the building down? Any thoughts ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Using Simpson Post Bases for a pole shed.

Good question.

Setting the poles on top of concrete posts or foundation is appealing because you do not need to worry about wood rot.

But one big advantage of a pole building is that putting the poles in the ground greatly helps the building resist wind shear, etc. I assume that this benefit is entirely lost when the poles are moved above the ground.

As you said, you could brace the building enough to make up for this, but I wonder if then you may as well put up a stick built building.

I'm interested in this because I plan to put up a rather long barn that will not have any interior walls (which can be used as lateral braces for long outside walls). As far as I know, the best way to get around this problem is to use poles in the ground.

I'll be watching this thread for others opinions!