Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bees nest in the ground

Bees nest in the ground

We have bees building their nests in our backyard. Unfortunately you don't know where they are until you're mowing the lawn and whack you get stung! My husband gets stung several times every time he mows the lawn in July/August. He got stung 3x on Sunday. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

Re: Bees nest in the ground

If you can't locate the nest, the next best thing is to bait for the bees. I did this myself at the beginning of this Summer and can say this works. Web address to follow, but in a nutshell, here's the deal: Go to the web site and buy the requisite bait (smelly fish paste or loganberry paste), buy the poison (I think it was Cyfluthrin), buy the trap/bait holders. Mix bait and poison, place in traps, bees eat poison, then go back to nest and spread the badness, in a couple of weeks no more bees. This method will kill ALL bees/nests that ingest the poison and spread it. If you have any neighbor hobbiests that raise honey bees for honey, etc. they will be affected too. This method has no borders.
    Your website is: www.bugspray.com
    Follow the links to yellowjackets...it's a good site in plain English from experienced folks. Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum.
    It shouldn't take long to locate the nest site. The bees will be hovering over it most anytime of the day. Stand and observe, and you will see. (If I was getting stung that often, I for sure would know where those bees were coming from as it would be pretty close to where the stinging happened). [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

When the nest is located, a cupful of gas poured on the nest will do wonders, and even better if you light it (best to light a rag on a long stick and reach out to the gas). This works all the time for me.

I wouldn't want to poison all bees, as they are important to crops and flowers, etc. The yellowjackets are the ground nesters, and are vicious, but easy to locate and clean out. Good luck.

Gas, diesel, old motor oil all works wonders on those bees.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Are you sure they are not yellow jackets? Much more aggrssive than bees. Whatever - - find the hole & pour gas down it after dark. There is absolutely no need to light it - - unless it makes you feel better that you are getting even.

Makes me feel better (to light it), and the gas is consumed and not left in the ground (not that I worry about a little spilled gas either [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

It makes me feel better, too. Although the time I did it I think I used too much gas. I had a blue flame coming out of the hole that lasted quite a while and because of the way it had permeated the ground, water wasn't affecting it.

I read somewhere that dish soap and water works, too. Something about the bees/hornets can't fly and then die licking the soap off of their wings. It didn't sound like as much fun as gas and lighting it so I never tried it.

That blue flame sounds like a great technique, and it would add to the 'ooff dah' of getting the yellowjackets. Good on ya' [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just as you'd figure. Bush hoggin' the hill yesterday and my bush hog found a yeller jacket's nest. I got luck only one sting on the finger but I knocked many off me as made my escape. Those darn things hurt... I felt it plum to my elbow.
    Maybe I'll get up there Saturday morning and find the nest...but I ain't looking a lot, and pour some oil in the nest.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Makes me feel better (to light it), and the gas is consumed and not left in the ground (not that I worry about a little spilled gas either )

[/ QUOTE ]

Just don't use so much that it goes "Whump" and leaves a hole in the ground. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The idea is to burn em, not bomb em. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve