Thread: Yard Hydrants

Yard Hydrants

What kind and how much gravel should I use at the base of a yard hydrant so it drains properly? Can I use peagravel or should I get something bigger? Also, do I need to do anything to the drain hole to prevent it from getting plugged up?

Thanks.

Re: Yard Hydrants

The TSC "Blue Book" catalog has a good set up for yard hydrants. It uses an 8x8x16 concrete block to rest the hydrant on, and the spaces in the concrete block provides the drainage area. You put some gravel on the bottom and around the concrete block, if I remember correctly. I thought the method was a pretty nifty arrangement.

I don't see the need for the block. Just putting a goodly amount of fair sized rock (called drain rock here) gives good drainage. Possibly in clay soil you might need something more.

Harry K

My contractor used a piece of 6 inch PVC set on end and filled with gravel. Plastic then goes around the stand pipe and over the top of the PVC. He said he's never had a problem with one freezing.

Steve

I ended up using a bunch of road gravel... more fine stuff than I would like but that is what I could get delivered. I think it will be fine. One of the existing hydrants I pulled out had no gravel in it at all, just clay packed around it and I had been using that one all winter.

Does anyone have a suggestion where I can find a book, or information on instalation of yard hydrants? I am looking to repair one, but I am fearing that I may have to replace it instead. Also, do you know if I can install two hydrants on the same line. That is, can I take the current hydrant and replace the elbow fitting with a T fitting to extend the line out to another hydrant? Thanks for the help.

john

I can't see where it would be an issue. Though the flow would be lower if you try and use both at the same time. I know someone who installed three, all teed from the same line. He did use a 1" main line.

What make is your hydrant? I have a Woodford and this is their website: http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/WFDIndex.htm Most common is the Iowa Y34

Woodford apparently designed the draining hydrant some 75 years ago.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?