Thread: Chimney relocation

Chimney relocation

I have a 40X80 polebarn which has a chimney located on the sidewall, which right-angles up besides the roof edge. I plan on installing a new chimney straight up thru the roof, just near the peak. That way I can put the upper edge of the roof flashing under the ridge moulding so I won't have any leak problems. My question is, is there any problem locating a chimney that near the peak? I already have three new 3' sections of class A chimney, that were inside the barn when I bought it.

Re: Chimney relocation

Shouldn't be a problem with the chimney working at that location (as long as the draft isn't affected by the prevailing winds coming up over the ridge and 'down' into the chimney). Flashing it is likely the only 'hassle' you need to deal with, to keep it water tight.

Re: Chimney relocation

I plan on sliping the chimney flashing right under the peak flashing. That will put the centerline of the chimney about a foot and a half from the centerline of the peak. The chimney will protrude a little over two feet above the peak. And the cap will add a few inches to that height. I had a snow problem which kept wiping out the old chimney. And I don't like chimneys that have horizontal sections that collect ash.